cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues receiving OTP text messages

ModTeam

Hi All, 

We are aware that some customers may be experiencing issues receiving OTP text messages.

Our support team are investigating this issue and we will update this thread with any progress. 

Thanks

Mod Team

486 REPLIES 486

Hello in 2021.

Looks like this serious bug is really affecting Virgin mobile media in 2021.

My Issues receiving OTP text messages: HMRC, WhatsApp, Google, CitiBank...

It is rather difficult to function in 2021 when so many applications have been uploaded to 2-step-verification. Taxes, banks, sensitive data ...

I called Virgin media about replacing the sim card, if that did not help, despite the fact that I have several contracts with Virgin Mobile, I will have to cancel them.

Is there any alternative besides replacing the card? Unfortunately, I cannot wait as long as my previous speakers because I have to run the company.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Only way out is to change networks or at least use a PAYG phone on another network to receive the texts for now

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Riki, sorry to hear you've been impacted by this issue. 

There's no fix as far as I'm aware, though we've been asked to collect examples of impacted numbers along with some other data (devices etc) to help the teams who are looking into it. I'll get in touch via PM so we can confirm a few details so I can pass them on.

Tom 

ThommoHawk
On our wavelength

Yep the service and support from Virgin sucks big time!! I’ve wasted several hours trying to get sense/resolution out of them and still nothing. They said they would call back, and didn’t, twice and fobbed me off with several agents taking an age to respond on live chat, to then pass me on to ‘A N Other’ as it was ‘nearly the end of their shift’ - **bleep**!!

First chance I get to leave and move to a more worthwhile service I will be going.  If they really cannot solve the problem then they should own up and compensate.  All online requirements for 2 Factor Authentication are basically inoperative to me at present. One thing is for sure, my business will never use Virgin going forward unless sorted.. 

naxman
On our wavelength

As I posted earlier about 2 months ago I had Virgin send me a new SIM, since then OTP has worked without a problem.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Sorry for the impact this has had ThommoHawk, I'd be happy to take a look and see if I can help further - if not I'll pass on your details to the teams who are looking into it - just look out for my PM.

Tom 

Hello everyone,

I want to summarise here what we know and current solution, maybe it will be helpful for Virgin IT people in the future. Thanks also for help via PM.

BUG DESCRIPTION: some users report problems not receiving OTP

WHO APPLIES TO: both old users (for whom OTP worked for years) and newer (e.g. they have a 2-month card)

DESCRIPTION OF THE PROBLEM: OTP messages are not received, but often only from some sender: e.g. HMRC, banks, WhatsApp, other app (e.g. to the parking lot)

DO IT ALWAYS COME OTP: It happens that OTP occurs e.g. a day later elsewhere. Maybe because communication goes through another GPS transmitting mast?

SOLUTION THAT CURRENTLY WORKS FOR EVERYONE (May 2021): Contact Virgin office for card replacement. The process is fast and efficient, so far no problems have been reported on the forum after the exchange.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to me @Riki, really glad to hear that the replacement SIM has helped. Please let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Tom 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, the first sim worked at first but doesn't now. Do I get another sim???

Margaret 

Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Anonymous

Welcome back to the forum page and thanks for keeping us updated. 

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your SIM again. 

Could you expand on this further please? 

Can you not make/receive texts and calls? 

Can you connect to the internet at all? 

Please do let us know. 

Thanks

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide