cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this phishing

helenkrs
Tuning in

I've received a message from thanks@virginmobile.com. Allegedly, I've won something, but I'm concerned that it's a phishing scam. Could you please help? I've taken a screenshot of the email but I don't know how to attach it

11 REPLIES 11

Client62
Legend

You can paste a picture into this thread or use the threads camera icon to insert a picture from a file.

• Here we go...

Screenshot_20230314-174102_Outlook.jpg

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @helenkrs 

You need to remove your email address from the picture and post it again.

If the picture had been approved it would have left you open to your email address possibly being picked up by spambots and webcrawlers.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi @helenkrs 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

It does from what you've said sound like a scam email.

Please see here 👉 https://www.virginmedia.com/help/security/dealing-with-fraudulent-calls-and-vishing - this should also help but if you're not sure still, do send the photo without the email address. 

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thank you. It was really daft of me to post the picture before I'd removed my email. Here's the amended picture 

Screenshot_20230314-174102_Outlook.jpg

Thank you, this 100%  a scam email.

I would delete this and block the sender from sending anything else.

You can also set rules up to stop these type of emails from entering your main inbox. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Thank you. The sender is now blocked

thanks for the posting, it just shows any unexpected emails need to be treated with caution and not to click on any links as the object is to get your data.

I often get phishing emails from banks and companies, parcel delivery firms etc.

It is wise to check out if they are fake before responding in any way.

I even get emails to my VM email from old contacts and often linked to hacked social media or hacked emails where the hacker has obtained your data, that is why strong passwords are important.I found an article that explains how the phishing takes place-

Spear Phishing: I opened an email from a "friend." It turned out to be a trick -- and dangerous - CB...

Thank you for posting this advice ALF28.

If anyone does any have questions on this I would be happy to help. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?