cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is phone locked to virgin

HDerbyshire
Tuning in

Hi

Since Virgin are stopping their PAYG option, I need to sway to another provider. (I only top up account £10-£20 a year so can't justify a monthy account).

How do I know if my phone is locked to Virgin ? Will they unlock it (since they are forcing change).

Thanks, H

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If it is working on one of the newer SIM cards that have been issued in the last 5 years it should be unlocked.

Best bet is to try another SIM before you leave. You may be able to borrow one or get one from the likes of ASDA 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @HDerbyshire

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Did you acquire the handset from ourselves?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If it is working on one of the newer SIM cards that have been issued in the last 5 years it should be unlocked.

Best bet is to try another SIM before you leave. You may be able to borrow one or get one from the likes of ASDA 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi

It was 5 years ago - I'm not entirely sure. The box has a Virgin Mobile security seal - so probably. (It is a Nokia 206).

I am only moving because you are withdrawing PAYG option - what are my options ?

Thanks, H

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @HDerbyshire

I'm going to drop you a private message now to check on this and advise further, please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I have an old Samsung GT-S5830 which I bought under a contract from Virgin years ago but it is locked to the Virgin Network. Tried a Tesco SIM in it just to be sure. 

How do I get it unlocked to any network so that I can use it again?

Hello martinhgregory

Thanks for taking the time to contact us in regards to your Samsung handset and getting it unlocked, we appreciate you raising this via the forums.

From checking our systems we're unable to locate an unlock code for this handset, this may be due to a number of reasons but most likely as it wasn't provided via the manufacturer. If the handset is an older phone, you could contact Samsung directly with the IMEI of the handset to see if they can provide you with this. The IMEI will be available via the box the handset came in or by dialing *#06#, we'd recommend having a pen and paper handy as this number will be 15 digit's long.

Another option, if the handset is older it will more than likely be outside of it's warranty so if you chose to, you could take it to a local shop to be unlocked. 

Rob