Menu
jbid9020
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Incomining SMS texts go to someone else.

Hi, Since I purchased my phone through virgin media, SMS text messaging and whatsapp video calls made by others, to me, sporadically go to someone else... I believe the same person, who invariably politely responds to the sender that we must share the same number! Phone calls and whatsapp messaging appear ok as well as SMS texts (in general). The only common denominator appears to be that the senders are sending SMS texts and video calls are using an Iphone, mine is an android, but I cannot fathom if this is a link, or red herring. When a friend of mine used whatsapp video chat using my number he got through to a lady who is convinced we in some way shared the same number, unfortunately I have not been able to confirm this. I have tried contacting virgin media but cannot get past all the screening and the FAQ's which do not seem to help as its quite bizarre ... can anyone help?

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Incomining SMS texts go to someone else.

Hi there @jbid9020

Welcome along to our Community and thanks so much for your first post; I am sorry to hear about your rather unusual issue. It's certainly not something that I have comes across before. 

I can assure you that it;s not possible to share a number and I've not heard of crossed lines on a mobile before and I can't fathom how that would be possible but we'll do all we can to assist you where possible. 

Can you confirm if you ported your number to us from another provider?

Can you confirm what android device you have?

When your friends on their iPhone calls or texts you, do you know how the format of your number shows under their contacts? Does it show as 077123 or +0077123

Pop back when you can and we'll go from there. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
jbid9020
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Katie, 

Glad its unusual, and for the reassurance about number duplication  👍

In answer to the following :

Can you confirm if you ported your number to us from another provider? - The number was not ported.

Can you confirm what android device you have? - Galaxy S10+

When your friends on their iPhone calls or texts you, do you know how the format of your number shows under their contacts? Does it show as 077123 or +0077123  - neither it shows as +44 73, I have checked with people who have no issues and the format is the same. The only difference is the Iphone.

Regards

John

0 Kudos
Hetty_R
Forum Team Manager
Forum Team Manager
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi jbid9020, 

Thanks for confirming. 

This really is a strange one. 

There are a couple of things I would like to rule out, but I will need more details about the mobile numbers involved. We would never ask you to share sensitive information on a public thread so I will send you a private message now to discuss this further. 

Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope in the top right corner and reply when you can. 

If you've managed to get this resolved since posting please ignore the message, 

Many thanks, 

Hetty

Hetty_R
0 Kudos