Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

FaceTime

I am posting this on behalf of my 88 year old Father. We had a death in the family and my Dad wanted to speak with our relative in the United States.

Neither of us were au fait with the concept of ‘Facetime’ so I took my time to familiarise it on behalf of Dad.

’Facetime is a free service, assuming the caller is connected to wifi’. Based on this information I rang our relative and we both spoke with them. We actually made two calls.

A few days later my Dad was checking his online account, and was shocked to discover he had been charged almost £125 for these calls.

Assuming a mistake had taken place he called the Virgin Mobile ‘Help’ line. I listened in on the calls and the response he received was rude, almost to a point of patronising.

We had followed the instruction to ensure that the phone was connected to ‘wifi’ and yet my Dad, who is a pensioner, has been forced to hand over a ridiculous amount of money for calls which were supposed to be free.

I do not require any assistance with this. I am simply informing any current, or potential, customers of Virgin Mobile to be very careful. You WILL get ripped off.

My Dad has been with Virgin since the very beginning. Mobile, broadband, phone etc. I’ve already cancelled the Mobile account, and it will be the same scenario once the current contract expires on the home package.

Thank you for reading.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: FaceTime

I must admit I am not familiar with Facetime as it is iOS. But reading up it should go via data. Only thing I can think is the calls were made via the phone dialer rather than the one built in to Facetime.

However, I stand to be corrected by an iPhone user more familiar with the system

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

FaceTime is free, and I use it all the time on Virgin Mobile and have never been charged, what phone do you have? 

FaceTime uses data, so you’d only be charged by VM if you use their network rather then WiFi, and have used all your allowance! 
I’m wondering if you’ve accidentally video called instead of FaceTime? I’ve seen on VM website that International Video calling to the USA costs £1.20pm! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Facetime is like WhatsApp video calling it goes via data.

It should appear on the bill the reason for the charge can you let me know this information.

I'll be able to confirm if it's video calling by mistake which is the only option I can see.

0 Kudos