Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 21 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Expired mobile contract

Hello,
Thanks for message. Yes it’s should have replied from 789 or or other of virgin numbers as I think it’s rude of the customer service by ignoring my sms text message last October whil I was thousands of miles away because there was an issue when a text message came from the 789922 which I getting no where as I kep and kept repeating texting same 20 time everyday to both 789 or 789922 which SHOULD they have even had replied as none of the customer service team as they are very extremely very rude to disabled people eg deaf or Deafblind people in here or abroad on holiday. This should have been fully supported to comply with the disability regulation act 2010, but I had complained in October that I feel I had been discriminated againist the disabled because texting to landline is not working properly so I taking action to CISAS to get them put right later this week.
Do you think they should fully supported to enable deaf or Deafblind mobile to use the feature to send sms text message to all landline phone like Bt EE or Vodafone has the system in place with virgin?
Andrew.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 22 of 27
Flag for a moderator

789 has never has been enabled to any form of messaging, so there is no one on the other end to see anything that is being sent.

There is a separate messaging number for Virgin Mobile which is shown above the post box within this forum:

Why not try our Text Messaging Service?

It’s a great way to get help with your Virgin Mobile services - and it's free!
Just send your query to 07533016422 and we’ll text you back.

Messages are free when sent from a Virgin Mobile connection.
We're open 8am - 10pm Monday to Friday, 8am - 5pm weekends.

This is also on the main Contact Us page.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for message. There should have the system which sms text message should have been converted to voice message which come through that number from any mobile provider is +44 7953 966066 which let the users know the text message had been delivered to landline phone as it’s still not working as I am very angry about it.
Andrew
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 24 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@andrewweb wrote:
Thanks for message. There should have the system which sms text message should have been converted to voice message which come through that number from any mobile provider is +44 7953 966066 which let the users know the text message had been delivered to landline phone as it’s still not working as I am very angry about it.
Andrew

I appreciate what you're saying about the landline SMS service, but it has only ever worked on the ex-Telewest part of the Virgin Media network (Bill Areas 01-18) for the older landline service. The ex-ntl parts have never had it (Bill Areas 20 - 31) no matter what type of landline you have.

Most companies don't have SMS texts enabled on their customer service contact numbers, but like Virgin Media will have other chat options such as a web based chat, SMS on a separate contact number, or the ability to use WhatsApp or other modern chat services. As mentioned before, there is also the Relay UK service that works for all numbers from a mobile device or computer.

For individuals, most people these days have a mobile device capable of SMS, so rarely have a need for SMS to or from their landline as well.

Landline SMS is a fairly low use service in the UK as far as I understand it, and has been superseded by many other messaging services that offer the same or better functionality for all users of it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 25 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Even the standard message app on Android allows for Google assistant to read out texts and reply by voice.

Google will even allow initiation of new texts by voice.

This means you have both Visual and Audio means of dealing with text messages.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hello,
Thanks for info as I was gobsmacked hard as I thought it’s was ridiculous to be suspended but for what year was it taken off? If an event of an emergenchy I need to send sms text message to my home phone number eg to tell my household that I am late and held up and will get back when transport start going again as I cannot use voice call as I always use sms text to all types of phone from mobile phone. The householder who doesn’t use text message as it’s should have been sent as voice massage after reverting from sms text message. It’s could have been very serious as if the householder get concern they would have to report the person missing to the police if my sms text message does not get failed to send off it’s very dangerous as it’s should have allowed all deaf mobile users & should not be suspended it’s illegal as it’s could have very urgent if the person want to notify the family who do not use sms text this should have been delivered as voice message to the house phone it’s important for safety of the person needs. Text relay don’t work of sending the SMS text from mobile phone or Apple iPhone as text relay is only used for text phone as I don’t use it al all.
Andrew.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 27 of 27
Flag for a moderator

If you send an SMS to a landline that doesn't support the SMS service, it should still be turned into a Voice call to that landline number.

However that's not something Virgin Media control as the UK landline SMS service centres are run by BT, and it's these that convert the message to a voice call.

According to BT there are two numbers involved in the Voice SMS message service:

How can I pick up spoken messages saved in the Text Store?
Just dial Text store 0845 602 1111 to listen to the spoken text messages (calls cost 5p a minute, plus your access charge). Please remember that we can only save messages here for 24 hours.

How can I stop BT Text calls?
You will receive text calls if you’ve been sent a text message and don't have a text enabled phone. An electronic voice will read the message out.
You can stop them or set curfews by calling 0800 587 5252 from the landline you're receiving them on.

I would assume if you can stop them, you can start them again.

In regards to the Text Relay / Relay UK service, BT have upgraded it so you don't need to use a physical text phone to use it. It is now a mobile app on an iPhone or via a computer program too. Details on that are here:

https://www.relayuk.bt.com/how-to-use-relay-uk/use-relay-uk-with-app.html

0 Kudos