cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coverage and tethering

Ianmc1968
Joining in

What is the mobile coverage like and how is tethering of the phone for the likes of iPlayer Netflix Disney 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Ianmc1968 thanks for your post here in the Community - welcome! 

This is quite a generalised question, so it's hard to give an exact response here. However, a lot centers on the signal strength you get in your area, if you have a good signal then you're likely to get good speeds especially if 5G is available and you have this.

We'd advise checking O2's service checker here as this will identify any issues in your area.

I hope this helps!
Many thanks

Tom_W

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Ianmc1968 thanks for your post here in the Community - welcome! 

This is quite a generalised question, so it's hard to give an exact response here. However, a lot centers on the signal strength you get in your area, if you have a good signal then you're likely to get good speeds especially if 5G is available and you have this.

We'd advise checking O2's service checker here as this will identify any issues in your area.

I hope this helps!
Many thanks

Tom_W

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Tom_W1 wrote:if you have a good signal then you're likely to get good speeds especially if 5G is available and you have this.

I'm not sure this is correct though.

Signal strength is a measure of just that - quality of received signal.

It says nothing about the speeds achievable over that same signal, which is dictated by available spectrum and capacity.

4G/5G is just a sideshow there.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Plenty of places on O2 with excellent signal strength but slow data. Usually down to congestion..

As an O2 user I would be wary of streaming unless I had evidence that the network was good 24/7 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi I am currently with EE. and thinking of changing to Virgin but I am concerned about if I will be able to tether the likes of my Roku stick and Disney and Netflix etc using my iPhone as the hotspot whilst I am away in my Motorhome as I have no problems doing it at the moment 

Thank you for reaching out as mentioned This is quite a generalised question, so it's hard to give an exact response.

This is going to depend where you are for example if you are trying to do some tethering in the middle of a forest it will be different to when you are at home. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin are moving to O2 full time so if you join Virgin you will become an O2 customer sometime this year.

I wouldn't join any network before the beginning of April as you will be hit with a price rise.and  In Virgin /O2 case 17.3%

We can't answer you question as we don't know the state of play at the locations you visit. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Also bear in mind that - although there will always be local differences - on a national basis EE generally outperforms every other network for data performance, and O2 is towards the bottom.

PlusNet uses EE for their mobile service, so it may be worth canvassing real-world experiences from friends or relatives who use O2 in the area you're considering.. that is the best test of any provider.