Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: Contradiction of Virgin vs. phone call barring settings - and told to get new SIM????

Dear Tom,

thank you, as I am days away from flying, even with above reassurances would not bet on postal delivery + potential hiccups to fully complete prior to travel, so was admittedly de-risking it.

Reading forums and one user describing the very issue earlier make me feel that the underlying network changes you mentioned are at play in this case - hence the references I heard to "new" SIM and "deprecating" old SIMs when I phoned customer services.

In this context, SIM refresh might not achieve anything - my current battle plan is that as soon as I get back into UK, proceed with replacement as indicated. In the meantime, on that dual SIM device, I have another SIM that will solve panic in case some roaming issues do kick in (as mentioned, whatever the settings were from the SIM, my actual experience was no barring while roaming... hence the initial puzzlement). 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 12 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: Contradiction of Virgin vs. phone call barring settings - and told to get new SIM????

Apologies for any confusion. Being so close to travelling I understand where you're coming from. We'll look forward to hearing back on your return, but if you do encounter any problems in the meantime please be sure to let us know - hopefully that won't be necessary.

Hope you have a good trip 👍

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, and as a follow-up to this: now with latest news of VM moving toward Vodafone as underlying network carrier:  how should one act with regard to this already "overdue" SIM change they recommended me?

One would go through the whole mayhem then within few weeks or months have another change because of yet another operator / carrier change?

Should therefore stay put and hope to be notified (as mentioned, I never was notified in the past) about necessary SIM change due to changed services / carrier?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 14 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you for your reply palmyra08. 

Good question, when we changed our SIM's to the one you are referring to, it did give us the ability to change settings without new SIM cards being issued. So to answer the question, you would still need to proceed with the SIM change as holding on wouldn't solve anything. 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

According to Virgin's press release the changeover to Vodafone will be towards the end of 2021, although there is not an exact timescale

SIM Cards will not be changing if you have the new type.

I suspect the Red SIM cards will be withdraw just prior to that date but no information is available at the moment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

On our wavelength
Message 16 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

it turns out the new SIM will have data roaming turned OFF?? and whilst roaming is claimed to be ON by default, does this mean that one takes suddenly a huge step backwards and loses the previously existed data roaming ???   Crucial things like navigation and such will rely on data connection, whilst no Wifi obviously... 

Seriously, if this is true and I get such extra benefit for same price I have been paying, I am changing network provider. It is simply ridiculous and again, nobody pointed it out until specifically asked.

This is a monumental joke if data roaming is now lost with the new SIM that is about to arrive. Ridiculous, and beyond belief frankly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 17 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi palmyra08,

All sims are set to off as s default for roaming. You can switch this on and off either by calling us or via your my Virgin Mobile account.

Zoie_P

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Well, I triple checked via 2 customer service persons and they said my roaming will be ON by default i.e. keeps current enabled setting.

BUT as I pointed out,  DATA roaming is said to be OFF - and states no enabling option. Simply states this will be lost together with MMS capability whilst roaming.

See the sentence on the switching instruction site: "Your SIM will be automatically set up to roam, however your data and MMS settings won’t be active while you’re abroad."

So I will ring again, for the Nth time to maybe hear N+1st contradicting nonsense.

Seriously: since this started, it has been nonstop continuously completely contradicting information. I am frankly starting to have enough of this utter farce and absolutely useless customer service helpline who seem to make up everything as they go along, giving totally random information.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Apparently, the quoted sentence on the website is not applicable in this case. well, my confidence level is almost zero, so will see when new SIM is activated...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 20 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi Palmyra08, 

I'm sorry you're experiencing issues with your data roaming, if you find you're still having issues after activating your new SIM card please come back and we'll think of another plan of action. 

Keep us updated. 

Megan_L

0 Kudos