cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't hear people on international call

AlanSC
Tuning in

We have 3 different phones that worked perfectly in UK all with virgin media SIMs, now in Spain unusable as 1 will not connect to network at all, and other 2 will connect but cannot hear anything on calls. APN, Roaming and barring settings checked, any one got any ideas? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks AlanSC. 

So I can look at this in a bit more detail. Can I send you a private message to check your account.

If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello AlanSC

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.

Sorry to hear that you are having a few niggles with your phones.

If you’re using an Android phone, please can you do the following: Selects Apps from your home screen > Virgin SIM toolkit > Roaming > Mode > Manual > International. Once this has been done you might need to reboot. 
If you’re using an iPhone, please can you do the following: Settings > Phone > SIM Applications > Roaming > Mode > Manual > International. If you’re using a newer iOS, then you it will be under Mobile Data instead of phone. Once this has been done you might need to reboot. 
Hope this helps. Can you please let me know how you get on.
Gareth_L

After advice I manually changed the roaming via the SIM tool to manual / international and rebooted the phone. It continues to send and receive calls, but neither person can hear one another.

Thanks AlanSC. 

So I can look at this in a bit more detail. Can I send you a private message to check your account.

If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Hi, I’m having the same issue while abroad in Italy. 
I can’t hear calls and also internets doesn’t work anymore. 
APN, Roaming and barring settings checked still no luck. 

can you help? 🙏 thanks 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Max23 

Check the section on SIM Toolkit 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Roaming-Tips-for-using-your-Virgin-Mobile-whilst-...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I have checked all the recommended settings, changed the Roaming manually to International, turned phone on/off. The same rings, connects, cannot hear person. I was hoping virgin help desk were going to message me but did not, tomorrow will buy a Vodafone SIM to see if that works, if it does, I will share update. I have never had this problem before and travelled numerous times in the past but Virgin seem to have broken something recently.

That didn’t help but I removed my monthly limit spend in my virgin account settings page. Then I restarted the phone and calls and data was working again. 
no idea why the monthly limit spend would be a problem when I have 30GB of data left to use.
Virgin, update your FAQ or fix this issue!  

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi AlanSC, thanks for your reply and sorry to hear the calls issue is still ongoing for you.

Could you please let us know how this is going since your last post and if you have any updates? 
Did you test a different SIM card or your SIM on another device to see if the problem persists?

Let us know and we're happy to further assist you if needed 🙂

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

It's been a week, my 3 family phones are now connected to local networks... I know this as data works with WiFi turned off. A bit feed up and bord trying numerous tips, and rebooting the phones to make telephone calls work so we can hear each other, but after buying a Vodafone SIM worked worked fine, albeit a bit expensive...when it should be free using my UK virgin minutes. However, gone back to virgin SIM and we now call each other over WhatsApp as I said data works.(we can even see each other!)

Not sure on moral of the story but Virgin need to up their game if they want to keep customers who travel abroad!