Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Another update of plans - so high price hike?!?

Morning all!

I currently have 4 handsets with VM - two are out of contract, and on a rolling 30 day plan, and two are 18month into their 2 year contract. The issue I've got is with the two that are still in contract.

Had an interesting email stating:

"we’re writing to let you know that we’re updating our mobile plans and, from your April bill date, the plan you’re currently on will no longer be available. Don’t worry, we’ll be moving you to a new plan from April. This will cost £13.00 a month, and includes 5GB data, 2500 mins and unlimited texts and your handset repayments will stay the same."

Now, I appreciate that plans change from time to time, and that we all agree to the annual inflation price rise. However, the two contracts in question are currently only costing £4p/m in airtime, which is 1000 min, u/l texts and 4GB (1GB data p/m but with 4x lifetime data), so a £9 p/m hike each?

I'm currently all for cancelling all of the handsets, however my main concern is with the £100 of handset costs that are still to be paid. If the prices are being jumped this much, can I cancel the airtime contracts (the option was given), but still continue to pay the handset costs monthly until the end of term?

Really not impressed with this level of hike - 16 years with VM for home, and 5 years for mobiles... the prices are getting silly!

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Another update of plans - so high price hike?!?

I received same email and on same plan. 2 yr contract due to finish in Sept 2019, but because plan has been 'discontinued' airtime hike from £4 to £13 starting from April. And to rub salt into the wound Virgin are offering SIM only 12gb for £12 whereas this new plan is only for 5gb for £13. But apparently according to the email I shouldn't worry...it beggars belief. Really not impressed, I suspect I'll be looking for another provider.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I agree mine is also rising £3 per month but the service will remain the same, airtime costs nothing so why the extra charge, its about time someone stood up to sky and virgin, if every customer told them to stick it they would fold in less than a week

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you are on Freestyle contacts where the phone and airtime are by two separate Direct Debits then the airtime is 30 day rolling.

789 will tell you different but you can leave and go elsewhere, leaving just the handset payment with Virgin

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes had the same email, £8.45 to £13

Amazingly the same deal is £12 on the VM website!

Initially downgraded and took another plan, but then checked competition. Got suspiciously cut off when I said I didn't want to renew after all! but VM then sent me text saying if I leave today I would have to pay £42, how is that right if I only on 30 day contract?

I hope they not trying to charge me for the contract I then said no to and had 14 days to cancel? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There is another thread lower down with people complaining about the same thing.

Personally it coincided with me actually wanting to up my plan and the new contract would be very competitive in features/price but otherwise I'd feel very put out.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@robolots 

Text ‘INFO’ to 85075 

This should give you the true price of leaving.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped