Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

789445 Scam or Real message?

Hello Virgin Media,

On Virgin PAYG,

Over the last few weeks been getting messages from Virgin Media claiming they'll contact me on 789445...

Screenshot_20200831-181611.jpg

followed by

Screenshot_20200831-181649.jpg

It initially asks for my mobile number (which since you're sending the texts you must already have)🤔

It then asked for my phone EMEI, I didn't like the idea of that so skipped that bit..

then it asked for my address, then sent me an access code... got to the end and it crashed

Yesterday got this email come through >

Untitled.jpg

Which I immediately deleted...

So is this a scam message or genuine?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: 789445 Scam or Real message?

Hello

This isn't a scam VM are changing all the  SIM cards and iif not changed the service will be disrupted. The email address is a valid VM email address. The SIM swap is too allow VM too change from all EE to the VM backend systems still at this time will use the EE signal, but that may change in the near future.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

See what I mean Paul? You start your post and get a reply in 1 hour; I'm still waiting after over a month for Virgin to sort my SIM problem out!

Although when your new SIM arrives you may not be able to use it as your phone may not recognise it, then you'll be in the same boat as many others on here.

Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Okay guys,

Followed the link,

Firstly it asked for my mobile number, which since you messaged me you already had..🤔. to which I got another message with the access code, problem was to input the access code I had to reopen messages and back at the start again, so the access code was no good 😠

Eventually worked around by opening the link via Internet. 

It then asked for my EMEI number, which it didn't recognise, so next attempt just skipped that bit claiming I didn't know it,

Finally it asked for my name and address, did all that, all filled out correctly,

Then like last time it just threw up an error..

Screenshot_20200903-165713.jpg

If there's a virgin mobile shop in town and the weather's okay and I remember I might pop in, otherwise it's goodbye virgin, hello another provider since my phone is unlocked for holidays 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gary,
Good idea to start a new thread, not now much further ahead, but at least unlocking my phone when i first got it for use in the channel islands means at least I'm not tied down to virgin
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@paul1965 wrote:

Okay guys,

Followed the link,

Firstly it asked for my mobile number, which since you messaged me you already had..🤔. to which I got another message with the access code, problem was to input the access code I had to reopen messages and back at the start again, so the access code was no good 😠

Eventually worked around by opening the link via Internet. 

It then asked for my EMEI number, which it didn't recognise, so next attempt just skipped that bit claiming I didn't know it,

Finally it asked for my name and address, did all that, all filled out correctly,

Then like last time it just threw up an error..

Screenshot_20200903-165713.jpg

If there's a virgin mobile shop in town and the weather's okay and I remember I might pop in, otherwise it's goodbye virgin, hello another provider since my phone is unlocked for holidays 

Regret to inform you that all Virgin Media stores are closed for good.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos