cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G

KCM51
Tuning in

When I took out my SIM only contract I told Virgin on the phone that I had a Moto 5G Plus device. However, it now seems that Virgin doesn't cover Motorola phones with 5G, which means I can only get 4G. Given that I wasn't properly informed when I took out the contract, legally, I should be able to terminate the contract without being charged. I would rather not have to do this in any case but I do want to get 5G - this was why I bought a 5G-ready phone! Is there any likelihood that Virgin will be extending their 5G coverage to the Moto 5G Plus in the near future?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Eventually yes you will go to Vodafone. The 5G issue for those on Vodafone is not clear to me as there has been conflicting information put out depending which member of the team answers.

Hopefully one of the team will be able to check your account 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When did you take out your contract? It may be your phone is running on EE and not Vodafone. The latter is needed for 5G.

All customers will move to Vodafone in the new year.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @KCM51

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making your first post regarding getting 5G on your Motorola phone, sorry to hear you're thinking of cancelling. As @enllli suggested, your phone may be running on the EE network instead of Vodafone.

When did you take out your contract with us?

Kind regards,

Serena

I've had my current contract since June this year. Not sure what you mean when you say my phone may be running on the EE network instead of Vodafone. I've got a contract with Virgin Mobile. Why would the service be provided by Vodaphone - or EE? If it is I was never aware of it. And how would this affect whether or not I can get 5G??

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin mobile is a Virtual Network. As such they have to piggy back off one of the main carriers. This used to be EE but this year there is a slow change over to Vodafone. At the moment it could be you are on either. EE do not supply a 5G service to Virgin

Thanks for clarifying. If I am still on EE does that mean I will eventually be switched to Vodaphone and be able to get 5G?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Eventually yes you will go to Vodafone. The 5G issue for those on Vodafone is not clear to me as there has been conflicting information put out depending which member of the team answers.

Hopefully one of the team will be able to check your account 

Thanks again

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I'm glad to see the Community was able to advise you on this @KCM51

If you have any further queries, please pop another post on this thread and we'll happily assist. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide