Menu
Reply
  • 27
  • 0
  • 1
astran2002
On our wavelength
198 Views
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

series links problems

How come you can no longer set a series link for a particular airing. I want to record a show that although on at prime time also airs at 4am but it will only schedule the 9pm airing which it then won't record due to clashes. At one time it used to automatically record the next airing if there were clashes. Aren't they supposed to make thing better when they improve them not worse.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.81K
  • 108
  • 258
japitts
Super solver
161 Views
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: series links problems

This is because TiVo series links are for programs not timeslots, and it's always been this way.

TiVo is designed to record the first available airing of any particular episode. It sounds, between the lines, that you may have an issue with the guide data - what is the specific program/time/channel that you're having issues with?

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 18
  • 0
  • 1
coocoo
Tuning in
151 Views
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: series links problems

Is it not because the 4am is the same?

Just a thought.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.81K
  • 108
  • 258
japitts
Super solver
146 Views
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: series links problems

Also possible, in which case it would say as much in "Recording Hiccups".

Think we need to have specific details on program/time/channel from the OP, and I'm sure we can test on our boxes too.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.29K
  • 148
  • 349
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
124 Views
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: series links problems

Two things to check, firstly, the priority of the series links, the show you want rescheduling should have the lowest priority of all the ones on at the same time so make sure that is the case.

Secondly, I seem to remember the TiVo doesn't actually reschedule the show until the first recording fails, it's not actually that smart in how it works, it just records the shows based on the priority and then when the repeat of the failed show comes round it will then record that because it has not been recently recorded. Therefore I don't think planned recordings will show the rescheduled recording until after the first recording fails.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.81K
  • 108
  • 258
japitts
Super solver
118 Views
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: series links problems


@Tavis75 wrote:

Two things to check, firstly, the priority of the series links, the show you want rescheduling should have the lowest priority of all the ones on at the same time so make sure that is the case.


Agreed.


@Tavis75 wrote:

Secondly, I seem to remember the TiVo doesn't actually reschedule the show until the first recording fails, it's not actually that smart in how it works, it just records the shows based on the priority and then when the repeat of the failed show comes round it will then record that because it has not been recently recorded. Therefore I don't think planned recordings will show the rescheduled recording until after the first recording fails.


Not quite - TiVo schedules in advance and does realise there's a clash. Try setting 4 (or 7 on the V6) competing programs at the same time, to check this.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 27
  • 0
  • 1
astran2002
On our wavelength
117 Views
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: series links problems

I will try setting it again and see what happens. As it is a new series link I would think It's the lowest priority but will check that as well. It also says it will clip other programs because of overlaps so I still can't see a way around it.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.81K
  • 108
  • 258
japitts
Super solver
113 Views
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: series links problems


@astran2002 wrote:

I will try setting it again and see what happens. As it is a new series link I would think It's the lowest priority but will check that as well. It also says it will clip other programs because of overlaps so I still can't see a way around it.


You're right, a new SL will go in as the lowest priority - and to explain how the priorities work, when TiVo is scheduling, it works from the top-down. So SLs at the top of the list will be scheduled first, and the bottom goes last. It therefore makes sense to take stuff that's harder to find elsewhere, at the top.

C4 tends to use 4-Seven for repeats so can be more easily rescheduled, whereas ITV doesn't have that luxury and has no HD-VOD so should be higher.

The clipping could well be your problem - somewhere around Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Recordings there's an option for "clip programs" or "reschedule clashes", I've never used clipping and always had rescheduling... but this could be your issue.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 27
  • 0
  • 1
astran2002
On our wavelength
108 Views
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: series links problems

Well I've got a new problem now. Suffering from a senior moment and can't remember what I wanted to record. Will have another try when it comes back to me, probably sometime next year.

  • 27
  • 0
  • 1
astran2002
On our wavelength
33 Views
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: series links problems

I didn't know about the reschedule option. I will look for it.

0 Kudos
Reply