cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can we turn pin off PERMANENTLY? it is an absolute pain

twinflameskiss
On our wavelength

How can we turn the pin off PERMANENTLY?

We are a couple in out 50s and do not have children and DO NOT need a pin, at all, EVER, and should NOT have one enforced on us.

We have turned off the pin setting, but are still asked for one all the time. We dont watch porm program with violence ior drug programs, etc.,  yet it still is imposed on programs we cant even work out why. Why does Ancient Aliens need a pin? 

It is an absolute PAIN, every time we switch channels in a pin program we have to put it in all over again when we switch back. (And changing it to 1111 is not a solution).

When we were with BT (and other services) we didnt have to, so Virgin COULD make it optional. There are complaints on here going back to 2011 from adults without children, and with disabilities using the controls, asking for it to be removed permanently, yet Virgin have just IGNORED them.

WE are the customer, WE are paying for the service, WE should have the choice of imposing any parental controls only if they are needed, not Virgin.

So Virgin, when are you going to give the people paying the option to turn it off PERMANENTLY?

121 REPLIES 121

stefandodon
Joining in

I found a solution for this problem, maybe it will work for you as well. 

Home - Help & Settings - Parental Controls - Lock channels. From here lock all the channels, click on Use these settings and wait for 1 min. Come back again to Lock channels, Unlock all channels.

You should be good to go.

Hi

I've been having the same issues with some channels that were originally viewed after 9pm (currently trying to watch an episode of 'Nazi Megastructures' recorded from Channel 5 last night - does this really comply to watershed viewing?) and I've just had to enter my PIN to watch the program at 2pm even though I have all my settings turned off. I'm in my mid 60's and live alone so I don't need a PIN for anything.

My TIVO box has also downloaded links to many other episodes of this program that I haven't requested (either Catch Up' or 'On Demand programmes) as I've seen them all before (another annoyance!).

I've looked through this forum and tried all of the suggested remedies for the PIN issue and none have worked for me.

A response from Virgin Media would be much appreciated

Hi davec005,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry to hear that you are not happy having to put your pin in for some content.

Ofcom require ourselves, Sky,  and any other media supplier to comply with this regulation about certified broadcast material and the watershed for watching such programs, I appreciate the frustration however there isn't a way of stopping this.

Kind regards

Paul.

Wrong. I just had to enter pin for an episode of voyager, recorded from the horror channel, as i wanted to watch it before 21:00 hours.. Why?.. THE EPISODE WAS AIRED AT 19:00 HOURS!!! ( by the way, this show was 'first aired' also before the watershed) 

Another thing.. when is the tivo UI being updated? It's clunky, slow, pixelated and looks like it was designed in the 80s...   I mean, considering how much you charge people..

You don't much care for your existing customers either, really. You reel new customers in with 'almost' decent prices, but nothing, Nothing(!) for existing, loyal, long term customers. 

Rant over.

Kind regards, Dreaded Pestilence

Hi Pestilence,

Thank you for reaching out to us, I am sorry you feel that we don't look our for our current customers and only offer new customers the better deals, I agree we do have exclusive offers for our new customer, just as you would of been offered a deal which wasn't available to our current customers when you first joined us.

In regards to our Tivo boxes, we are always looking for ways to improve our services and give our customers the best service possible.

Kind regards

Paul.

Perfect, thanks. 

I'm seeing lots of people saying ofcom are the reason why there are pincodes on the movie channels etc, but on sky Q, these can be turned off by the customer,s sky provide this safety net and it's the customers choice to disable it. Taking the lazy approach and saying "it's ofcoms fault" when really, they could provide controls to turn this off isn't the best approach. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Ofcom Broadcasting Code (“the Code”) allows for films rated up to '15' by the BBFC1 to be broadcast during the daytime on premium subscription channels and up to '18' on pay per view film channels, provided that they are protected by a mandatory PIN code.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0025/125359/statement-mandatory-daytime-protection-r...

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Daveneill83 wrote:

I'm seeing lots of people saying ofcom are the reason why there are pincodes on the movie channels etc, but on sky Q, these can be turned off by the customer,s sky provide this safety net and it's the customers choice to disable it. Taking the lazy approach and saying "it's ofcoms fault" when really, they could provide controls to turn this off isn't the best approach. 

No they cannot. They would lose their licence to operate if they did not abide by the conditions.

Here are the relevant SkyQ help pages:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Is-there-any-way-I-can-turn-this-damn-parental-control-off...

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

caveman30
On our wavelength

Why cant they do what netflix does and have accounts that way once you are logged into that account it says how old you are and does not require you to enter another pin, you could have all boxes setup as guests and keep the current setup on the boxes and for those that want no pin make an account and sign in to the account and then they dont need the pin again