cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error code ES072

DrP1
On our wavelength

My new 4K TV won't allow me to access my films in My Library in the Virgin Media Store. It just shows as "Error Code ES072" - which isn't registered on the Virgin Media website under "Error Codes".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DrP1 wrote:

Dear japitts,

Thanks so much for your reply - very much appreciated. I can get "On Demand" programmes, but they are regularly "buffering". (I'm afraid I don't know what "PPV" stands for.) I've discovered that I need to upgrade to a V360 box

At best that's twaddle, at worst it's misleading sales-talk. Sorry to be blunt. Oh, PPV stands for "pay per view" - content that you pay specifically for, as opposed to having it in a package of some kind.

Let's explain some background here - first with reference to the 3 TV boxes that VM have... https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-fault/which-tv-box 

TiVo - runs TiVo software and has its own in-built internet-connection. A very common issue with these is that the inbuilt modem fails without users realising - no internet connection means no OnDemand etc. It's a fault and rectified by a box replacement - but you're not going to get around the box being old and slow by current standards.

V6 - runs TiVo software but on much newer hardware. Far quicker in general operation, more recording tuners, more apps, but it doesn't have the inbuilt internet connection and so you need to have VM home broadband to connect to.

360 - VM's newest software platform, runs on the same hardware as the V6 but substantially different software and is not TiVo.  Do your research on the pros & cons of both before "jumping in", because you can't change your mind if you don't get on with it.

Personal opinion - swapping from a TiVo > V6 is an absolutely valid thing to do if you can negotiate it, an upgrade in every sense. The box can be software-patched to 360 if you decide later on. Going straight from TiVo > 360 is valid, but do so after careful thought & consideration - and not just because some sales-person has told you that it's necessary. The chances are it's not.

So back to the original query... if you have a TiVo and OnDemand is regularly buffering, there may be a reason for this. Check the front-left of your TiVo and there's a series of green lights. The "heartbeat" light is the online indicator and if it ever flashes, that's your inbuilt net connection failing.

There's also plenty of other posts & threads on TiVo/V6 vs 360, but it's a whole can of worms. Let's stick to your TiVo fault for now, and see if it's just the on-board modem failing.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @DrP1 ,

The first thing to do is look at the Check service status at the top of the page.

If nothing is showing  you could also try the  Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more local issues down to postcode level

That code is generally only associated due to issues with the Virgin Media store and they have a different support team so that error code isn't listed in the general box error code list. You can contact them on 0800 027 0801

The ES072 error often cropped up on older Samsung TV's.  The problem there is that not all ports are HDCP 2.2 compliant and solution was to find and use the port marked MHL. Even if you don't have a Samsung check that your HDMI is HDCP2.2 compliant and try different ports on your TV.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

DrP1
On our wavelength
Thanks for your help, Dave. The TV is a brand new LG C1. I've tried other HDMI ports but without success. Thanks again.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you view other OnDemand programmes, or is it only the PPV ones you have issues with?

Also be aware that regardless of what TV you have, the TiVo only supports HD-1080. So your TiVo will be outputting at HD and your TV will be upscaling to 2160/UHD.

Only the newer V6 & 360 boxes support UHD/2160 video output.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

DrP1
On our wavelength

Dear japitts,

Thanks so much for your reply - very much appreciated. I can get "On Demand" programmes, but they are regularly "buffering". (I'm afraid I don't know what "PPV" stands for.) I've discovered that I need to upgrade to a V360 box and I was told that it would be a one-off charge of £35. However, after a total of 4 hours spent on the Virgin Media Website "chat" function, I was still unable to locate anyone who could advise me how I upgrade to a V360 box.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DrP1 wrote:

Dear japitts,

Thanks so much for your reply - very much appreciated. I can get "On Demand" programmes, but they are regularly "buffering". (I'm afraid I don't know what "PPV" stands for.) I've discovered that I need to upgrade to a V360 box

At best that's twaddle, at worst it's misleading sales-talk. Sorry to be blunt. Oh, PPV stands for "pay per view" - content that you pay specifically for, as opposed to having it in a package of some kind.

Let's explain some background here - first with reference to the 3 TV boxes that VM have... https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-fault/which-tv-box 

TiVo - runs TiVo software and has its own in-built internet-connection. A very common issue with these is that the inbuilt modem fails without users realising - no internet connection means no OnDemand etc. It's a fault and rectified by a box replacement - but you're not going to get around the box being old and slow by current standards.

V6 - runs TiVo software but on much newer hardware. Far quicker in general operation, more recording tuners, more apps, but it doesn't have the inbuilt internet connection and so you need to have VM home broadband to connect to.

360 - VM's newest software platform, runs on the same hardware as the V6 but substantially different software and is not TiVo.  Do your research on the pros & cons of both before "jumping in", because you can't change your mind if you don't get on with it.

Personal opinion - swapping from a TiVo > V6 is an absolutely valid thing to do if you can negotiate it, an upgrade in every sense. The box can be software-patched to 360 if you decide later on. Going straight from TiVo > 360 is valid, but do so after careful thought & consideration - and not just because some sales-person has told you that it's necessary. The chances are it's not.

So back to the original query... if you have a TiVo and OnDemand is regularly buffering, there may be a reason for this. Check the front-left of your TiVo and there's a series of green lights. The "heartbeat" light is the online indicator and if it ever flashes, that's your inbuilt net connection failing.

There's also plenty of other posts & threads on TiVo/V6 vs 360, but it's a whole can of worms. Let's stick to your TiVo fault for now, and see if it's just the on-board modem failing.

DrP1
On our wavelength

Dear japitts,

Thankyou so much for your (second!) very helpful reply. Your time and knowledge are truly appreciated. Given what you mentioned earlier, I was assuming that I would have to upgrade to a V360 box in order to get the best of out of my new 4K TV? (Or am I just being incredibly dense...) I've tried the "Check service status" at the top of this page, but I just end up with a page saying something like, "Sorry. We're at work." I've also sent for an "ethernet cable splitter" in the hope that I can wire both my TiVo Box and my TV simultaneously to my Virgin wifi. (Or am I again just being ridiculously stupid?) Once again, thanks so much for your help and expertise.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The TiVo only supports upto 1080/HD, so your TV will upscale from 1080>2160

If you want to watch UHD content "natively", then you will need either a V6 or a 360. The hardware is the same, it's the software that's different - V6 runs the same software as your TiVo, 360 is totally different.

Your TiVo doesn't use Ethernet for an internet connection` - that's what I was explaining above. The TiVo has one single co-ax cable coming in, which the box internally splits into TV & internet signals. The Ethernet connection on a TiVo is only used for connecting to your homehub to allow multiroom/in-home streaming of recorded programmes - it has nothing to do with providing an internet connection. Oh, and in the same vein the TiVo doesn't have WiFi.

At the risk of repeating the pertinent point here, I'll copy & paste a part of my previous post otherwise you could continue down a blind alley.. Hint: If you have a TiVo, forget the Ethernet for OnDemand issues. It's irrelevant.

If you have a TiVo and OnDemand is regularly buffering, there may be a reason for this. Check the front-left of your TiVo and there's a series of green lights. The "heartbeat" light is the online indicator and if it ever flashes, that's your inbuilt net connection failing.

I fear the C/S rep here, in trying to sell you a 360, has confused the issue and added unnecessary complication. Yes it could potentially solve the issue - but so would a V6 which would be a far simpler swap.

DrP1
On our wavelength

Once again, thankyou SO much, japitts, for all your incredible help. I can only apologise for being so slow on the uptake. This really has helped. Would Virgin consider hiring you as a consultant??? Thanks again!