cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W Free-to-air

pm71
Dialled in

W became a free-to-air channel on March 28th, 2022 at 6:00am.

https://wnowfree.com/

I couldn't find any info on this anywhere from VM.

6 REPLIES 6

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

W is a small channel which struggles to gain an average audience share above 0.5%, so it's not surprising that VM doesn't carry this news. I think that W should now become part of the Player package.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've not noticed any VM announcements, either. The channel guide hasn't been updated either.

That said, it's well documented on other websites.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The issue here is that there must be a commercial agreement between Virgin Media and the owner of W channel as to its carriage.

Without knowing what that is and whether there has been a change, no-one here can comment on whether W will be moved between TV bundles.

From the link quoted above:

From 28th March viewers can watch W on Freeview, Freesat and UKTV Play, and it remains available to Virgin Media and Sky subscribers.”

This suggests, to me, no change for Sky or Virgin Media customers.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Absolutely Ernie, I had seen it speculated somewhere that W-SD would go FTA while W-HD would remain a pay channel and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's how this goes.

But the commercial side could well be why VM haven't announced anything - RXTV Info is also strangely silent on VM-specifics, only mentioning Sky.

pm71
Dialled in

I can confirm W & W+1 have been added to the Player package.

cje85
Trouble shooter

@Ernie_C wrote:

From 28th March viewers can watch W on Freeview, Freesat and UKTV Play, and it remains available to Virgin Media and Sky subscribers.”

This suggests, to me, no change for Sky or Virgin Media customers.

W (SD) is free to air on Sky too, it uses the same feed as Freesat. However the HD version is still encrypted and not available on Freesat.