cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tivo box ghosted images on recordings

Damage1_1
On our wavelength

Hi, I'm hoping I've posted this on the correct section?

My Tivo box now shows a ghosting in the background of everything I record and then playback. It's almost like a previous image has been burnt into the background, however.. the image is not always the same. 

This is the original Tivo box so is quite old now.... Could it just be wirn out? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you post up a picture of this problem, that would be interesting. And do you have this problem with live TV?

If yes - that's the root cause.

If no - try pausing live TV and watch slightly delayed. This is also a recording and would ID if this could be an HDD issue.

Ghosting isn't something I'd associate with HDD issues, but being methodical about this should help find the cause.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you post up a picture of this problem, that would be interesting. And do you have this problem with live TV?

If yes - that's the root cause.

If no - try pausing live TV and watch slightly delayed. This is also a recording and would ID if this could be an HDD issue.

Ghosting isn't something I'd associate with HDD issues, but being methodical about this should help find the cause.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Damage1_1
On our wavelength

Hi

this is only on recordings - there is nothing wrong with anything else. I wondered if it was a case of the hard drive being overwritten too many times?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As I mentioned above, pausing live TV is also a recording and uses your hard drive in exactly the same way.

Is this also affected? Are you able to post a video/picture of the symptoms?

Damage1_1
On our wavelength

I tried the "pause live TV and payback" with apparent problems.

I'll try to post a couple of photos of the fault. 

Last night I had a "Dettol" logo across the background but usually there's a red or green band running horizontally across the centre of the screen. I must reiterate that this only occurs on playback of recorded programmes and never on conventional TV (or Netflix etc) 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Damage1_1 wrote:

I tried the "pause live TV and payback" with apparent problems.mI must reiterate that this only occurs on playback of recorded programmes and never on conventional TV (or Netflix etc) 

So in other words, this issue is occurring on all recorded content, suggesting an HDD issue.

Photos of the issue would be very useful.

Damage1_1
On our wavelength

Sorry but I don't know how to send the photos I took of the 'ghosting 'effect.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Use this icon when you're adding a forum reply..Images are then manually approved, so won't be publicly visible until then.

japitts_0-1665508103843.png

Damage1_1
On our wavelength

20230318_003200.jpg20230318_003156.jpg20230318_003153.jpg

Hi @Damage1_1 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

I am sorry to hear of the TV picture issues.

I will send you a PM now to assist further.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill