cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TiVo box replacement

ineedabeer
Tuning in

Is it possible to teplace my TiVo box (2nd box in bedroom)  for v6/360. Happy to pay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

newapollo has beaten me to a response, but I will still wade in here.. And sorry for the length of the post, what I'm saying can't be said succinctly, unfortunately.

The short answer is, yes you can replace your TiVo with a V6 or 360 - but please, be very careful what you ask for. The two boxes are the same hardware, but the software they run on is substantially different - and 360 has one particular difference you need to be aware of. You also need to have VM broadband in order to swap - that's a requirement.

If you swap the TiVo for a V6, that's a straight change to a newer box running the same software. Job done.

360 is a completely different software to TiVo with some very substantial differences. There's 1001 threads on here comparing them, and opinions vary wildly, but one notable thread worth a read is here - and you should be aware, a conversion to 360 is one-way with no option to revert if you don't like it.

You should also be aware: In TiVo/V6-land, multiroom boxes all have their own hard drives with full streaming between the two. In 360-land, multiroom boxes are minis without hard drives of their own - they slave from the master box.

So... if you do decide to convert to 360 and do it in "one go", your existing V6 will be software-converted to 360, and the TiVo is swapped for a mini-box thus losing its storage space. You are much better off upgrading your second TiVo for a V6 and retain the HDD.

If you then subsequently decide to convert to 360, then both your V6 will be software-converted and retain hard drives.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @ineedabeer 

To take either the V6 or the 360 set top box you also need to have broadband with Virgin Media as thsoe boxes don't have their own internal modem like the older TIVO boxes.

Unfortunately you need to contact VM directly as the Forum Team don't have access to enable them to change your package or equipment. 

You may be able to negotiate a new contract and swap boxes as part of the new contract.

Call  150 from a Virgin landline or mobile, or 0345 454 1111, options and either speak to regrades or retentions (thinking of leaving us)

Retentions (thinking of leaving us) are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibilty, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents. Hopefully you can negotiate a deal with them that's suitable to your pocket and needs in exchange for a new contract

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

newapollo has beaten me to a response, but I will still wade in here.. And sorry for the length of the post, what I'm saying can't be said succinctly, unfortunately.

The short answer is, yes you can replace your TiVo with a V6 or 360 - but please, be very careful what you ask for. The two boxes are the same hardware, but the software they run on is substantially different - and 360 has one particular difference you need to be aware of. You also need to have VM broadband in order to swap - that's a requirement.

If you swap the TiVo for a V6, that's a straight change to a newer box running the same software. Job done.

360 is a completely different software to TiVo with some very substantial differences. There's 1001 threads on here comparing them, and opinions vary wildly, but one notable thread worth a read is here - and you should be aware, a conversion to 360 is one-way with no option to revert if you don't like it.

You should also be aware: In TiVo/V6-land, multiroom boxes all have their own hard drives with full streaming between the two. In 360-land, multiroom boxes are minis without hard drives of their own - they slave from the master box.

So... if you do decide to convert to 360 and do it in "one go", your existing V6 will be software-converted to 360, and the TiVo is swapped for a mini-box thus losing its storage space. You are much better off upgrading your second TiVo for a V6 and retain the HDD.

If you then subsequently decide to convert to 360, then both your V6 will be software-converted and retain hard drives.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks