cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subtitles on BBC flashing 888 up in the corner

flaxthejute
Tuning in

Recently the Subtitles on BBC are flashing 888 up in the corner at regular intervals when the subtitles are on. Any clue why this is happening and how to stop it?

Ta

114 REPLIES 114

I've checked my settings on the TV and nothing has changed, the problem doesn't seem to happen on other channels, just BBC ones.

I noticed the 888 flashing when watching a bbc recording the other day  and since then all BBC programmes I have recorded don't show subtitles.I've also noticed the picture quality of recently recorded BBC programmes is poor as well is this related to the problem? Programmes recorded from other channels are fine!

I tried using "live chat" on VM about this issue but gave up after the message "agent is typing.... took over 30 mins I do have a life.....

Hi VIPerson,

Thanks for posting. My apologies for this. Does the 888 flash on every program as I am unable to replicate the fault in the office. Also the subtitles not working on the recordings, does the program you're recording have subtitles for it?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John

Thanks for replying The 888 flashed up at the beginning of Holby city last night (Weds 8pm) which I watched live The other programmes I noticed the missing subtitiles when recorded were Best Home cook last Thursday and also Death in Paradise which I know do have subtitles. I do hope the issue is soon sorted

Further to VIPerson answer. I have noticed it happens most frequently (but not exclusively) at the beginning/end of programs. Also in my case it happens on other channels not just BBC. Could send a screen picture if it helps, there is small blue box in right hand corner with yellow 'ceefax' style numbers 

I have the same problem. It started recently.

I've noticed it when watching  BBC1 programs recorded on the VM V6 box and also watching programs as they are transmitted through the V6 box.

The Blue 888 appears if there is a pause in the subtitles for about 10 secs and disappears when the subtitles resume.

This is not apparent when I watch BBC directly on the TV.

I've switched off subtitles on the TV.

Reset TV to factory defaults.

Restarted the V6 box.

Switched HDMI ports

Switched HDMI leads.

I'm open to try any suggestions.

Roy

It doesn't seem to be happening on BBC1 HD through the V6 box.

Yay!

The subtitles seem to be back on BBC on my tivio box Thank you whoever fixed it

I have the problem as well - subtitles themselves working normally but the 888 appears on BBC1 recordings. Clearly a virgin network fault.