Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Streaming starts and then fails with a temporarily unavailable error on Tivo but works fine with V6

Hi All,

I have two boxes, a Tivo and a V6, the V6 works perfectly when streaming but the Tivo always has problems, it can be incredibly slow to connect to any streaming services such as on demand sky cinema, netflix or even youtube and when it does connect we'll get about 20 minutes of viewing at which point the screen goes black and we get this error

"This show is temporarily unavailable

We are sorry you can't watch this show right now, please try again later. You can find more info by going to Help on your Virgin TV box:home>Help & Settings > Help and find troubleshooting > on Demand. Or, go to virginmedia.com/servicestatus 602"

Most of the time we can resume the show at which point we'll get a random amount of viewing before the above error is seen again but at times the Tivo is so unresponsive we have to physically power it off.

I know it's not a service issue as I've checked dozens of times and as I say watching the same thing on the V6 works no problem every time. When I do a system test on the Tivo to check the connectivity the connection is established no problem.  I thought perhaps it might have been a wifi issue so plugged a cat 6 utp directly into the router but the issue remains.

Any advice on how I can get this resolved please? I'm going round in circles trying to get this resolved

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Streaming starts and then fails with a temporarily unavailable error on Tivo but works fine with V6

Your V6 relies on a connection to your homehub for internet & VOD, but the TiVo has a hardwired internal connection - so your WiFi & Cat-6 won't be having any impact at all.

On the front-left of your TiVo, there's 3 green lights. From L-R, power should be permanently on, heartbeat/online should be permanently on, and remote input flashes.

What happens to the middle (heartbeat) light when you have this problem? I'm going to guess that it's flashing, and the internal modem has dropped its connection.

So while the TiVo should be perfectly capable of using VOD services, apps will be slower to load because the box is simply older. That will affect YouTube, Netflic & iPlayer.

At the very least it sounds like you have a service fault with the TiVo that VM need to deal with and rectify. You've said you don't have any of these problems with the V6, that doesn't surprise me at all 😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Streaming starts and then fails with a temporarily unavailable error on Tivo but works fine with V6

Hi, just wanted to say a huge thank you to japitts, you were absolutely correct that the middle (heartbeat) light started to flash when the error appeared, I called VM and they sent an engineer out yesterday, turns out there was an unnoticed issue with my broadband which was imminently going to start causing me a problem as well as having a faulty modem in the Tivo, the broadband was fixed and the Tivo replaced with a V6 so it's all working better than ever now.