cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound and picture out of sync

ThatNameTaken
Joining in

Sound and picture are out of sync, it’s not happening on all channels.  it’s worst on some HD channels, but it’s not happening at all on some HD channels. I’ve tried resetting my TiVo box, it didn’t seem to make any difference. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Joshua_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello,

is this a new box/t.v you have or is it something that's just started to happen?

one of the things you could try is

go to Home -> Help&settings -> settings ->audio -> dolby digital, and then switch to the other function (dolby or PCM)

let me know if this helps, if not i can advise on other things we can try.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out , all opinions are my own. Find out more

If you have found my response helpful today please take the time to mark my answer as helpful and give some Kudos.

Although I work for Vm all/most posts are of my own opinion

Fancy £50 off your bill? Ask me how.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Joshua_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

When the audio is set to Dolby, it sends the audio data unchanged through to the tv/amplifier etc, which then decodes it.
This can take some time to do which can cause the video to be ahead of the audio,

However setting to PCM, the box itself decodes the audio (as well as the video) so it can keep them in sync better.

Sometimes you might get the reverse issue where the t.v is slower displaying the video so you hear the sound ahead of the picture, this is when you would look at switching to dolby instead of pcm can help as it will slow down the audio to sync in with the t.v

Although it's generally better to alter the settings on the t.v to speed up the video processing instead.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out , all opinions are my own. Find out more

If you have found my response helpful today please take the time to mark my answer as helpful and give some Kudos.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Joshua_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello,

is this a new box/t.v you have or is it something that's just started to happen?

one of the things you could try is

go to Home -> Help&settings -> settings ->audio -> dolby digital, and then switch to the other function (dolby or PCM)

let me know if this helps, if not i can advise on other things we can try.

Yes, it worked! Thanks!
Can you explain why this is?

Joshua_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

When the audio is set to Dolby, it sends the audio data unchanged through to the tv/amplifier etc, which then decodes it.
This can take some time to do which can cause the video to be ahead of the audio,

However setting to PCM, the box itself decodes the audio (as well as the video) so it can keep them in sync better.

Sometimes you might get the reverse issue where the t.v is slower displaying the video so you hear the sound ahead of the picture, this is when you would look at switching to dolby instead of pcm can help as it will slow down the audio to sync in with the t.v

Although it's generally better to alter the settings on the t.v to speed up the video processing instead.

stemayf
On our wavelength

Apoogies - I've just replied in a different thread with the same issue.

Joshua_B, is there a better solution? The sound when I switch Dolby Digital to PCM is so inferior to Dolby Digital. What settings would you recommend on a TV to speed up the video processing? I have a Philip 43" 7304, not that I'm asking you to know the ins and outs of all makes/brands.

I have tried the HDMI from the V6 box to my receiver, then back out to the TV, but then I lose the 4K resolution (I don't understand why, tbh). At the moment, the HDMI from the V6 box goes direct to the TV, and I have a digital optical audio out from the TV back to the receiver.

Thanks.

Mills82
On our wavelength

Did you find a solution for the Philips TV or not?