Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Playback back issues on previous recordings.

I've found that some recordings from a few years ago on my TiVo box will no longer play. It firsts asks for a PIN, then says the channel is locked and no longer available. Someone I know has the same issue with their TiVo.

I wonder if it could be due to channel numbers changing as it seems to be only those recordings where the original channel has changed. Although I thought once a programme was recorded, it was saved on the TiVo box.

One example - I can no longer playback a recording from Sky Arts 2 - a channel no longer available.

Anyone else finding this issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Playback back issues on previous recordings.

Yes, and it is normal.

Firstly, you rent the box, so the box & anything stored on it are effectively Virgin property.

Secondly, the agreements with the channel providers only allow for short term time shifting of recordings. Many of them do not impose a specific date, although they could, but we will return to that in a moment.

When a channel is removed, in order to keep your recordings viewable Virgin has to keep sending out the background data tags for that channel. They do this for a set period (up to a year maximum, depending on the agreements with channel providers), then remove it, hence the programmes are blocked. This also affects channels that have had SD versions removed, or where national versions have been replaced with regional ones, be it for advertising sales or programme content.

With the next generation TV product now under test, & recordings based in the cloud, it is likely that “expiry dates” will be placed on them similar to those now used on catch-up services.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

When Virgin Media moves to the Horizon 4 platform as has been decided by Liberty Global, it is not clear yet how long recordings can be kept in the cloud.

The only reference I can find for those LG companies which have already made this move is

in Belgium, Telenet said recordings will automatically be erased after 60 days, unless the viewer wants to keep the recording, which is possible up to five years.“

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks