cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tv TiVo box not working

wrinkle
On our wavelength

New tv installed will only shoe free view. The TiVo box has an hdmi cable to tv plus a smart converter cannot get the main programmes, sport etc.please help- thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I would only add that if your problem is as myself & newapollo suspect - and is related to the HDMI connection between your TiVo & TV, then calling VM-CS is likely to be not only a fruitless exercise, but potentially frustrating if you happen to get through to an offshore agent.

A VM phone agent should be able to assist with issues as far as your set-top-box, but is relatively powerless beyond that. What you might need is a trusted friend or relative to help with "hands and eyes" in front of your equipment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

18 REPLIES 18

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

First, let's check a few things here - you say you're new to VM TV, do you have VM broadband? I only ask because all new TV installs since a year now, have been to TV360 except if you don't have VM broadband or an existing TiVo customer. If you're not sure, check here for photos of the different boxes.

Next up - are you getting any error codes/messages on the channels you're having problems with? Any error produced by your VM box should have a code which will help ID what the problem might be.

Finally - which specific channel(s) are you having problems with? I'm not sure what your reference to "main programmes" means - but it would certainly be useful to establish which TV package you're on (and therefore which channel(s) you have in your subscription) and which of those you're having problems with.

The TV channel guide to compare against, is at the bottom of this page 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

wrinkle
On our wavelength

Hi there

We have vm broadband, and have it for a long time. The TiVo box we have is the last in those illustrations. We are not receiving any error messages.

the channels we are not getting are sky sports via Virgin, and a few more. Probably most of those listed in the list you linked to.

The chap who installed the TV said we needed a hdmi cable converter to the tv box - I am a bit techno aware but not a lot. I bought one and perhaps I bought the wrong one!  Sorry to be such a pain. It does seem strange to me as an ignoramus as we can get the internet.

thank you for your help

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@wrinkle wrote:

We have vm broadband, and have it for a long time. The TiVo box we have is the last in those illustrations.

Does that mean you have a TiVo? And not a V6? The software is the same, but it might just help to be clear.

In cases such as these, there's one generic answer that can be suggested, and that is to follow the "missing channel" refresh - Home > Help & Settings > Help > TV Care > I'm missing some channels.

If that doesn't resolve, then we will need to be specific about what TV package you're on, which specific channel(s) you're missing and whether you've had them before. To give you an example of what I mean, you've mentioned "Sky Sports via Virgin", but there's 10 Sky Sports channels - all of which come as SD (channels 511-520) & HD versions (channels 501-510)

Out of interest, what happens when you try selecting one of these channels? Presumably some other channels do work?

wrinkle
On our wavelength
Hi
I will have to have a look, every channel we can get on free view is hd. I will check out exactly what we get on our subscription but as I said I am a bit of an ignoramus. I have had enough of everything today, so it’s a gin and tonic and have another go tomorrow. Thank you so much for your help and happy new year

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just a thought, but I wonder if you're not actually watching through your VM box but using your TV's in-built Freeview tuner...

Do you get the TiVo menus & EPG if you use "Menu" & "Guide" on your VM remote?

wrinkle
On our wavelength

Good morning

we have TV maxis, m200 fibre broadband, talk weekend and bigger bundle and sports. The TiVo R box had a scart cable connecting it to our old tv. The chap who installed the tv did not have the correct scart to hdmi cable, which we bought. Cannot access any of the TiVos menus etc. just doesn’t work, we can get the internet though. Could the box be at fault. Thank you for your help 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From the sounds of it, I suspect your TV just isn't connected to your TiVo.

Most modern TVs will have an HDMI connection on the back, as does your TiVo. Do you have an HDMI lead connecting the two? The scart connections you've mentioned are rather outdated now.

wrinkle
On our wavelength

The tv is brand new and uses hdmi, however the TiVo R box does have both hdmi, which is connected, and has scart lead, I have now been able to use a scart converter and we can get the channels as well as free view. But the picture on the sports channels via TiVo are awful. Thank you for your help. Perhaps we need anew TiVo box.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @wrinkle 

If your new TV has  HDMI sockets then you don't need the scart convertor anymore.

Directly  connect the HDMI cable from your TIVO to the TV, then press the source button on your TV remote to the corresponding HDMI slot that you attached the TIVO to. For example if the TIVO is connected to the TV's HDMI1 slot then switch the source on the TV remote to HDMI1

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali