Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lost Channel 4 recordings

@hippyclone wrote:

The recordings are there on disk so it's only Virgin Media deciding that people cannot view them which prevents them being viewed.

It doesn't matter that "Channel 4 is no longer available" [sic]. Channel 4 SD definitely does still exist; because that's what I watch and can record from my subscription-free Sky box which doesn't support HD.

All availability of recordings is part of content agreements that Virgin Media have with the broadcasters and can be extremely complex, as the broadcasters then have their rights agreements with production companies. So the availability of content is always based a chain of agreements.

For instance, Sky's content agreement with Virgin Media means that you can't watch any recording from a Sky channel you don't have if your package, even if it's still broadcasting e.g. a recording from Sky Cinema if you don't subscribe to it at the point you want to watch the recording.

Where channel variants change it all depends on what that change is within the content agreement. It could either mean that the content agreement sees it as the same channel, or it can be classed as a separate channel variant which means that specific agreements for availability apply.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 12 of 19
Flag for a moderator

It seems insane I can't watch C4 programs but I could if I had recorded them from C4+1.

But my main complaint still remains that there was no warning that I would lose these recordings, that there was no indication that they had been lost until I came to view them.

Any my main worry is that similar may happen in future, that things I have recorded could simply disappear without my being aware they are going to disappear. That's no way to run a rodeo.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@hippyclone wrote:
It seems insane I can't watch C4 programs but I could if I had recorded them from C4+1.

But my main complaint still remains that there was no warning that I would lose these recordings, that there was no indication that they had been lost until I came to view them.

Any my main worry is that similar may happen in future, that things I have recorded could simply disappear without my being aware they are going to disappear. That's no way to run a rodeo.

I’m sorry to say it, but a channel being removed be it only on Virgin & not on another platform, whether it be for a change of advertising region or a change of region totally (as with BBC2 Scotland being replaced by BBC2 England) is a warning that recordings may soon not be viewable. Also as previously stated Virgin owns the box, & therefore the recordings on it. Sky is also not a good comparison as it is a hybrid platform. Sky does not control the free unscrambled channels on its service & anyone can uplink a channel & join the service if they pay a nominal fee to Sky to appear in the guide.

When (& it will be when not if) Virgin Media moves all recordings to cloud storage with the introduction of the Horizon 4 platform you are likely to find recordings will have expiry dates of as little as 30 days.

VIP pack with VIVID 350. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 14 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Although there is currently no information as to when Virgin Media will move to the Horizon 4 platform in the UK, it has been implemented in some other European countries.

Here is a quote re retention of recordings in the cloud in Belgium:

”.... in Belgium Telenet said rcordings will automatically be erased after 60 days, unless the viewer wants to keep the recording, which is possible up to five years.“

This may or may not be what happens in the UK.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 15 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I pay through the nose for virgin and it's a real challenge finding something decent amongst the tosh.  If i want to be able to keep them I should (particularly on services which would otherwise be free to air).  There is a GB limit on the box to limit this to a reasonable level.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 16 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I read your posts with interest. I noticed that some of my stuff is missing, too and whatever the ins and outs of copyright, ownership, etc., I think it is in poor taste not to at least have warned us customers of what their intentions were.

As to keeping things beyond a year – surely that's our business when and how often we want to watch stuff. I love ballets – and as so many of them never make it onto blu-ray (which I don't mind paying for) my only option is to leave it on my TiVo box. I like to dip into these things more than once.

But there is some light on the horizon: YouTube. Surprisingly, some fans post full-length documentaries, ballets, comedy shows, archive stuff – all sorts of things on there, and the quality on some of ain't half bad. Even HD. If you know how to download to computer then onto a disc, USB stick, it's yours forever – and then you can watch how ever many times you wish, with no killjoys to take it back without a by or leave. You have to be quick, though, because that stuff gets taken off, too, though I have seen things sneakily re-posted.

Here's the link to a save YouTube music and video free converter which (mostly) works. But there are others you can try:

https://en.savefrom.net/102-youtube-music-downloader.html

The other option is that sometimes these less-well known cable channels pick up old shows/documentaries, etc., and show them again – and if you tape those, they might remain on your box. If you haven't deleted your original 'missing' show, click on it, go into 'more' options, then click on 'explore' this show and then 'upcoming' and it may show you alternative places that might transmit it. There's also a wish list option on some of them.

Most of my cherished BBC2/BBC4  recordings have gone, but strangely, one or two are still there. Hmmm...wonder what these killjoys are about...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Wise owl
Message 17 of 19
Flag for a moderator

The length of time a recording is available is determined by the licensing of music and performance rights of all the artistes publishers and broadcasters involved, which are often linked to geographical areas.  The total combination of all these factors is extremely variable from one recording to another. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 18 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Wise Owl  :0)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Have there been *recent* changes to channels? And not just Channel 4, although some would have been.

It's not that they are listed but we can't access them - they simply aren't listed!

We were settling down to watch stuff we've recorded fairly recently (the latest set of Homeland, for example, which was Channel 4) and having seen the other night that the last one in the series was there, we were really annoyed to find we'd only got the last 4 in the set. Surely if something changed so our recording settings didn't work, that would have happened with the first one (recorded a couple of months ago, not a year ago). I've also lost a lot of films we've recorded recently - over the last few weeks.

We were shocked to discover 0 movies last night - and while we were flicking backwards and forwards trying to find stuff, the percentage of space used (which was already a paltry 18% because of the missing films) was now a meagre 9%. Things were vanishing as we moved between folders.

Really frustrating...!

0 Kudos