cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of sound or picture after TiVo reboot

LindaRuth
Dialled in

We have a 2nd TiVo which is connected by WiFi to the hub 4 for streaming Netflix, etc.

Frequently, we can't open Netflix or Amazon because there is 'no connection'. We reboot the TiVo box and open the app successfully. However, sometimes there is no sound although the picture is fine or vice versa. We have to reboot a couple more times or just give up and watch something else.

The error message says it's a connection problem although there is a WiFi signal in the room. Is it the TiVo box?

I tested this theory by swapping the boxes for a couple of days and the problem didn't occur. I've swapped the boxes back because of all the recorded content, etc so swapping the boxes is not the solution.

Alternatively, it could be a WiFi problem. I am planning to add a router/mesh system to prove the signal.

Has anyone else experienced this and have you managed to resolve it?

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@LindaRuth wrote:

We have a 2nd TiVo which is connected by WiFi to the hub 4 for streaming Netflix, etc.

The older TiVo doesn't have either WiFi or the Amazon Prime app, can you check that you don't actually have a V6? It runs TiVo software but on substantially different hardware.

https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-fault/which-tv-box 

Further advice can follow once you confirm what combination of boxes you have. Edited to @LindaRuth  because the thread has been moved a couple of times, and that guarantees you know about this reply...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hello. It is quite old so is probably a V6. We get Netflix and Amazon via the apps.

Thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you look at the pictures in the link I posted and check.

Prime isn't on the TiVo, bit I wouldn't call a V6 old by any stretch.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hello. According to the bill it is a V6 box 'powered by TiVo'.

This morning we tried Netflix via the box, had to reboot, etc. Got picture but no sound. Tried Netflix via the smart TV. It worked fine - both sound and picture. Obviously got a WiFi signal so that seems fine.

I'm thinking it is the box.

Can a Virgin person look at this too please?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you watch normal OnDemand programmes at all? That will help ID whether this is an app-specific problem or not.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I've swapped the boxes back because of all the recorded content" - you should be able to stream recordings between your 2 x V6

The other basic check is, on your V6, please follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network. Check the WiFi signal strength in the top-right when you have problems - what is it?

Thanks for your help with this question.

Settings tell me there is no WiFi connection at the moment. Last night it was 70%. Netflix works on the smart TV. The TV settings show 3 bars out of 5 for the signal.

I should have been more clear about the sound/picture issue. If, after rebooting, etc. you decide you don't want to watch Netflix/Prime after all the problem occurs with live TV. Another reboot will fix that but by now you've wasted a good few minutes of time.

I've highlighted Netflix/Prime as the apps because they are the only ones used in that room. 

We know we can watch programmes recorded on the other boxes but that doesn't work when the WiFi isn't working.

Thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There's your underlying problem then - if the V6 has no WiFi connection to the router, then everything that uses that will fail. Multiroom and online streaming, OnDemand, the lot.

If you have no WiFi connection, there should be an onscreen prompt to reconnect.

I think you are right. Hopefully s moderator will pick this up to save me spending hours on hold...

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @LindaRuth 

Firstly apologies for yesterday, it was myself that caused confusion by moving your post around the boards.

I'm pleased that you were able to find the new thread, but sad to see you WiFi issues with the V6 boxes.

I don't know if you are using the 2.4Ghz or 5GHz band to connect the V6 boxes to wifi, but if it's a low signal issue then it's better to connect to the 2.4GHz band as the signal travels further.

When your V6 loses connection then using your remote go to  Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network > Connect to the Virgin Media TV service now.

This should force the V6 to remake the internet connection.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali