cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of TV Service

Annette7
Joining in

Lost TV service during thunderstorm late Saturday night (18th).   Checked next day for service status which confirmed a fault.   To be fixed 20th by 13.00.  It wasn't - phoned and told it would be fixed by end of the day.   It wasn't - service status stated would fixed on 22nd, and then on 22nd. stated would be 23rd i.e. today.   Checking service status today it now says due to be fixed 13.00 on 29th June another 6 days away.   I'm a senior citizen, vulnerable per NHS, and live alone so my TV is a lifeline.  It's already 5 days with no service and now they are saying another 6 days which is ludicrous in this day and age.  I'm angry and upset and just getting platitudes from Virgin Media.  Sent a complaint which just said would be fixed on 23rd (ha ha) and I'd be reimbursed for days lost which is no comfort at all.  Feel I'm just banging my head against a brick wall and getting nowhere.  Just want my TV service back.

8 REPLIES 8

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is a pain, but sadly not unusual, as anyone using the Freeview TV service in the North of Yorkshire & Teeside will tell you after a TV mast strike caused a fire:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/aug/16/tv-out-for-two-more-weeks-in-north-yorkshire-after-m... 

If the strike fried Virgin underground ducting & cables, these will all have to be dug up & replaced before the service is restored. Not something that can be done overnight.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Whilst I appreciate what you say why can they not tell me what the problem is and what has to be done.   They tell me nothing (other that there is a fault) and I'm just in limbo.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Quite often the technical details of the fault are of no interest to 99% of customers who just want the service to work - and may not understand the details even if they were available. Not to mention there may be "commercial confidentiality" issues with some details.

The forum staff may be along in a couple of days and be able to provide some further details, but I suspect the above will feature heavily.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

If you don't have an aerial get one installed (on the exterior is best) so that you can get Freeview TV as your backup. Installation costs vary of course but about £250 should be sufficient.

Edited to add that you can always get an indoors aerial for emergency use, some cost less than £20. Check out what Tesco, Argos, Currys PC World and other retailers are selling.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I have a rooftop aerial which is useless - I live in a 'dip' in the town which is why I went on to cable in the first place and all had been okay for around 30 years.

As an update, TV service for the area was fixed 27th but then an hour later came up with error again on the website stating 'intermittent signal'.  Since Tuesday 28th TV service shown okay on website.   However, I still have the same problem 'no signal' and my service not working.   I phoned Virgin today (45 mins) speaking to 3 different people.   First said my box must be at fault and could send a new one but my model no longer made and I could only have the upgraded Tivo box if I switched to their broadband (which I don't want) -  would see what they could do.  He then switched me to someone else - went through it all again and was told they'd arrange for a technician to visit.   Held on for ages until they came back and said they couldn't book technician and would switch me to 'Faults Dept'.   Once again I go through it all again and this person said my current box is working okay and the fault is the TV's HDMI1 connection  to the box.  Possibly a new connection cable needed or a fault on TV.    I left it that I would get my nephew to come round and to check all connections before I decide what to do next.   It's just a nightmare.  From 'we'll send a new box' to 'we'll send a technician' to 'your box is okay it's your TV'.   Confused?    How do you think I feel?    I'm certainly not going to take out another service with Virgin that's for sure with their reaction to my current problem.    Each person I speak to saying something different.   Literally at my wit's end! 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Annette7 wrote:

First said my box must be at fault and could send a new one but my model no longer made and I could only have the upgraded Tivo box if I switched to their broadband (which I don't want)

TiVo boxes are no longer supported for replacements and any TiVo deemed faulty will be replaced with a V6 (or TV360 if you choose to convert).

Unfortunately for you, TiVo has its own inbuilt modem for all the online functionality - V6 don't work like this and require the use of VM home broadband for the same internet-based services (OnDemand etc). It needs to be VM broadband, not anyone else.

Sorry to say, these are non-negotiables now - if you want VM TV service, you need to have VM broadband.

If you can get satellite TV you could have a dish fitted and watch Freesat. If you want premium channels you can subscribe to Sky Q which uses broadband from any ISP.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Good Morning @Annette7, thanks for your post and I'm sorry to hear of the issues with the TV services.

Looking at the helpful advice from @japitts, can you please advise me if you're willing to sign up for a broadband connection, or if you would like to cancel the TV services with Virgin Media?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn