cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ITVX & BBC iplayer

Smiley66
Joining in
  • For a few weeks now I’ve not been able to get ITVX or bbc iplayer, keeps saying no connection. I can watch catch up and on demand through the Tivo box, my internet connection through VM is strong /excellent according to VM. 
    Is it anything to do with VM and or the TiVo box? 
    I’d appreciate any help in sorting this as customer services are hard to get through too and even harder to understand. 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have a TiVO box (500Gb)

Older TiVOOlder TiVO

then you won't have ITVX as the box is too old to handle the new app. BBC iPlayer will also be very slow due to the age of the modem installed. You need to look at upgrading to a V6 box. The V6 has no internal modem like your current box has. It has to use your Virgin Broadband hub, so needs to be connected either direct wired or by WiFi.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have a TiVO box (500Gb)

Older TiVOOlder TiVO

then you won't have ITVX as the box is too old to handle the new app. BBC iPlayer will also be very slow due to the age of the modem installed. You need to look at upgrading to a V6 box. The V6 has no internal modem like your current box has. It has to use your Virgin Broadband hub, so needs to be connected either direct wired or by WiFi.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Smiley66
Joining in

Hi, despite trying, does anyone know the customer service email address for VM? 
All I can find is a phone number, 

Thanks. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

There isn't one. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @Smiley66, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of the issues difficulty viewing content via BBC iPlayer and ITVX.

Do feel free to call our team on 0345 454 1111 or 150, who will be able to discuss your options on the upgrading of the set top box.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@David_Bn wrote:

Do feel free to call our team on 0345 454 1111 or 150, who will be able to discuss your options on the upgrading of the set top box.

If you take this route, just do some research into the differences between V6 & TV360 - they both use the same box but are very different software, much like Apple vs Android. V6 runs TiVo-software, TV360 runs Horizon software, both have pros & cons.

VM telesales will easily sell you a TV360 conversion, so just make sure of what you want and what you are offered.

Thanks for your help, but how do I know which box is best? 
My TiVo box could get bbc iplayer   But since my new cheaper contract before Xmas, I can’t get iplayer or ITVX. Sounds a very convenient way of getting loyal customers to spend more money. 
your honest thoughts would be good, 

Regards

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Smiley66 

I'm very happy with the 360, as are other users, however you find a lot of posts on the forum from users that are unhappy with the 360 as it doesn't have all the features found on the older Tivo/V6 boxes. This is because Tivo patented a number of functions.

If you read <<< this thread >>>  it details some of the differences.

There's a customer video on youtube showing the 360 interface and how it works (it's 2 years old though so there have been some changes ) <<< here >>> 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Smiley66 wrote:

Thanks for your help, but how do I know which box is best?

TiVo refers both to the software and the legacy box. A TiVo runs TiVo software, on a very old box.

A V6 runs TiVo software, on a much quicker box.

A TV360 runs Horizon software, on a much quicker box.

Horizon vs TiVo is very much an Apple vs Android debate, they are very different. A V6 is a clear upgrade on a TiVo, a TV360 is a conversion. Some call it an upgrade, some call it a downgrade - it is fundmentally different.