cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guide option to start from current channel?

scampbird
Dialled in

I noticed recently that the Tivo Anywhere app Guide starts from the currently viewed channel (e.g. you're watching channel 521, that's where the Guide starts from). This is inline with just about every TV/settop box I've ever come across.

Is there a chance we could have an option for the Tivo to do the same thing? I don't understand why it starts from the beginning.

I'm assuming there isn't a button that takes me to the current channel?

Let me illustrate a normal TV-browse use-case (this is to answer those people that commonly reply with "why do you want it to go the current channel"):

1. You start on the Guide and browse to a channel that looks ok, so you watch it.

2. After a few seconds you decide its not for you and want to continue browsing for something else.

3. Therefore you'd like the Guide to continue where you left off.

40 REPLIES 40

Agreed, as a new user I find this a pain...  Humax box far superior in this respect

virgin, you need to sort this

Add me to the list of people who have common sense as opposed to Virgins Custom TIVO UI/UX Team. 

@StuBlake13 wrote:

Add me to the list of people who have common sense as opposed to Virgins Custom TIVO UI/UX Team. 

Depends what you mean by common sense. Add an option to decide from where to start then fair enough but if you mean that it is common sense to start from where you left off then I disagree.

I have a TV and DVR which do that and it really irritates me, what has the current channel got to do with my next choice? Starting again from 101 makes perfect sense to me.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!

@frank_gm wrote:

@StuBlake13 wrote:

Depends what you mean by common sense. Add an option to decide from where to start then fair enough but if you mean that it is common sense to start from where you left off then I disagree.

I have a TV and DVR which do that and it really irritates me, what has the current channel got to do with my next choice? Starting again from 101 makes perfect sense to me.

Think this argument will go on and on until they put the option in to choose whether it starts from the beginning or last channel watched.

I have the opposite argument to you that the current channel is relevant to your next choice.  If I'm watching the football on a Saturday afternoon then I am much more likely to want to know what is on the other sports channels, rather than what is on BBC1 which will have no relevance to me...

I appreciate its personal preference and there is no right or wrong, if Virgin could just implement a choice, then that would be wonderful. 

@mbonnick wrote:

@frank_gm wrote:

@StuBlake13 wrote:

Think this argument will go on and on until they put the option in to choose whether it starts from the beginning or last channel watched.

I have the opposite argument to you that the current channel is relevant to your next choice.  If I'm watching the football on a Saturday afternoon then I am much more likely to want to know what is on the other sports channels, rather than what is on BBC1 which will have no relevance to me...

I appreciate its personal preference and there is no right or wrong, if Virgin could just implement a choice, then that would be wonderful. 

We don't disagree and both think that an option to choose is the way forward. I was just bemused by the use of the phrase "common sense".

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!

Yes, very little common sense left in the world today sadly!!

I of course have it by the bucket load 😉

mpatric
On our wavelength

I'd also like the TV guide to start on the current channel.

Another thing that I'd like the option to keep the preference for which channels to show and not keep automatically changing it back to 'All Channels'. In the guide I hit the blue button, then choose 'HD' I want it to stay on that, not go back to 'All Channels' on it's own after a period of time. Alternatively, I would want to be able to set the default preference for this (i.e. I always want it on 'HD', not 'All Channels').

Maybe just have all the HD channels at the start of the guide, that would do the same so then when you select guide you will always see the HD ones first.  These could be in the same order as the sd channels appear so BBC2 HD would follow BB1HD and then ITVHD etc.

I think another setting that would be useful is that you can choose so if you select an sd channel and there is an HD equivalent, then it automatically goes to that instead.....

@mbonnick wrote:

Maybe just have all the HD channels at the start of the guide, that would do the same so then when you select guide you will always see the HD ones first.  These could be in the same order as the sd channels appear so BBC2 HD would follow BB1HD and then ITVHD etc.

I think another setting that would be useful is that you can choose so if you select an sd channel and there is an HD equivalent, then it automatically goes to that instead.....

Of course there is the HD option in the guide and also Favourites which is what I use although you can also just type in the number of the HD channel.

¡No Pasarán!

tjpitts
Tuning in

Great idea - it is a real pain the way it is. The old V+ box did it, why doesn't TiVo