cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Smart TV to Hub with Coax Cable

catceefer
Tuning in

This is probably a daft question, but here goes.........

We currently have a old TV connected to a TiVo box. The TiVo is connected to the hub with a co-axial cable. We have one of Virgin's TV packages.

We are replacing the TV with a new smart TV and are considering cancelling our Virgin TV subscription as we only watch the Freeview channels. We will be keeping the Virgin broadband as we are pleased with it.

Would we be able to use the existing co-axial cable to connect the smart TV to the hub or does this cable become dead once the TV subscription has ended?

James.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@catceefer wrote:

The TiVo is connected to the hub with a co-axial cable.

You have your cables confused...

Your TiVo will have a co-ax cable carrying live broadcast TV channels & an internet connection from your external connection. TiVo's have an option of an Ethernet connection to your home-hub, this is purely for in-home streaming purposes and does not give any internet connectivity.

If your TV subscription is cancelled, your incoming co-ax connection will remain active if you have VM broadband. You will not be able to view any broadcast TV channels via the TiVo.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@catceefer wrote:

The TiVo is connected to the hub with a co-axial cable.

You have your cables confused...

Your TiVo will have a co-ax cable carrying live broadcast TV channels & an internet connection from your external connection. TiVo's have an option of an Ethernet connection to your home-hub, this is purely for in-home streaming purposes and does not give any internet connectivity.

If your TV subscription is cancelled, your incoming co-ax connection will remain active if you have VM broadband. You will not be able to view any broadcast TV channels via the TiVo.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

catceefer
Tuning in

Thank you, JapittS.

For some reason, when Virgin fitted the TiVo and hub, they never ran an ethernet cable between the two; just the coax. 

So, am I right in thinking the following? If I retain the VM broadband, but not renew the VM TV package, I could use the coax cable to connect a smart TV to the internet, presumably with a suitable adaptor plug.

Essentially, I should like to do away with the TiVo, be able to access Freeview and access the internet with the smart TV.

James.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, the coax is what VM use to delivery broadcast TV services to a cable set-top-box. If you have a Sky install, they use a co-ax run from the satellite receiver to the STB. A Freeview install will use a co-ax run from the rooftop/loft RX-antenna to the TV tuner.

If you chose to retain the TiVo on VM's base TV package, you would retain the recording facilities. If you cancelled it, then you would not be able to use any VM TV services. You would connect whatever TV set you have, to a Freeview aerial, and your Hub would provide whatever internet connection is needed by any particular device. That can be via (always preferable) Ethernet cable or wireless.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"I could use the coax cable to connect a smart TV to the internet, presumably with a suitable adaptor plug." No, the cable can only be connected to the VM system components. You will need to run an Ethernet cable between the VM hub and the TV and connect to a Freeview TV aerial to the TV. Be aware if you want to terminate the TV part of you contract you will need a new contract for the broadband and it’s possible it will cost more that you currently pay. VM uses ‘package’ system where 2 or 3 services are a lot cheaper taken together. If you want to change packages it’s best to do when your current 12/18/24 month contact exipres.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thank you. That clarifies things. We still have the aerial on the roof and the cable to the TV, so can use that. I shall either run a fresh ethernet cable or use a powerline adaptor if the wifi is too weak.

James.