Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Bloody red button not working properly yet again

Finally we get some live sport to watch on red button (Tennis on BBC).

But it's been completely ruined by it constantly dropping out and today, on the final day, I get a message saying the app isn't working at all 😡

Having to watch it on my laptop now!

Will Virgin ever, ever fix this poxy service?

Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bloody red button not working properly yet again

All working fine here in the Teesside area.

I accessed IPlayer via the BBC1 HD channel 108.

Have you tried rebooting the box? Or reconnecting to the network via the box settings?

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No need.
Came back 15 mins later.
Still periodic freezes though.

It's not box or network issues cos the on demand is fine.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I don't think the red button has ever been usable in a reliable way as long as we've had Virgin Media.
Anything that I can play through some service other than VM TV equipment I will use the alternative.

That could be xbox, ChromeCast, computer, basically anything to avoid the frustration that is the TiVo box. 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Do you have Virgin broadband at all? I'm asking because although the TiVo is perfectly capable of running TV, red-button & the basic apps, it has now been superceded as Virgin's primary TV-box by the V6.

Providing you meet the criteria of having VM broadband (as the V6, unlike TiVo, doesn't have a dedicated inbuilt connection) then I would strongly recommend you consider swapping to a V6, whose general performance with all things "online" is vastly improved.

Depending how long you've had your current package, you may be able to negotiate a new deal on your bundle that includes a box-swap.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The V6 IS a Tivo.

Ive had TiVos since way before Virgin got their mitts on the license for it.

I have a V6 and 200mb broadband.

As I said, it’s the red button service itself, not the box or connection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The V6 is NOT a TiVo, it just runs the TiVo software, for now. The TiVo is a completely different box.

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well of course it's the SW that makes it a Tivo.

The original series 1 Tivo was single-core PPC, single SD Tuner, no network (until it was 3rd party modded which made life a hell of a lot easier).

The original Virgin Tivo was completely different HW :- 3 HD Tuners, network etc etc.  There was a Cisco box and there was a Samsung box.  They were both still Tivos.

The V6 is again, totally different HW.  It's still a Tivo!  "Tivo" is plastered all over the menu system.

Until Virgin ditch the Tivo SW and replace it with their own, it's a Tivo.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Of course both TV boxes run TiVo software and could be described accordingly. But there are clear hardware and connectivity differences between the two, and anyone who refers to "TiVo" or "V6" would be easily understood on this forum and with VM staff.

Returning to the original query about red-button, the service is working ok for me here on a V6 box. I don't have a TiVo to test on.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I’ve had Tivos since a V1 when Telewest (pre Virgin) first hit the scene and I used my Tivo to control and record from my telewest box.

So out of habit I still refer to my V6 as a Tivo (which is what it actually is bar Virgin’s V6 name ... not sure if the V6 refers to the series of Tivo it was based on or what ... think they went up to series 7 in US?).

So a fair point.  I guess it might be a tad confusing for folk who think that Tivo is a Virgin thing on here and is just the first Virgin recorder.

I’ll try to remember to call it a V6 Tivo in future 😉

none of which helps my intermittent red button service ... however, as others have also said it’s flaky and has been for a while, I guess I’m stuck with it.

0 Kudos