cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS14 and iPadOS 14 MAC address can change on your device

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have reserved DHCP entries in your VM hub or own router the new update can stop devices being given the LAN address you want. There are two solutions, put a real fixed address in the device or go into the setting on the device, click the circle‘I’ against your SSID name and turn off ‘Private Address’.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
6 REPLIES 6

spgray
Problem sorter
well not entirey accurate.
the phyiscal MAC address doesn't and can't change, it's unique the network hardware in the device.

what Apple have decided to do is spoof "fake" MAC addresses all in the name of "privacy". meanwhile Apple get to keep all your data by locking everything into your apple ID.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I never said the physical MAC address on the device changed only the address presented to the network. The title might imply the address could change, but it never mention physical address. /

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

spgray
Problem sorter
you never said it wasn't the physical address though, so i'm merely pointing out that this what apple is actually doing.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

Surely, given the vast number of iOS devices in use, it shouldn’t be beyond Virgin’s ability or willingness to address the connection problem?  My phone and iPad drop the connection every few minutes, my Mac and the company Dell laptop I use for working from home are unaffected.  If I visit our daughters’ homes there is no problem with BT or Sky broadband connection - I was dog-sitting during the holidays for a week and never lost connection once on Sky.

Basically, what you are saying is get lost and switch to another service provider and I’m getting so frustrated I might just take your advice. 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Highly unlikely to be to do with MAC changes. The MAC address, if the facility is turned on, will only change if the SSID names changes. You get the same MAC each time you use the same SSID.

Tudor

sophist
Trouble shooter

i know that this post is ancient now, but as it was resurrected i figure i'd add my two penneth worth to this comment..

@spgray wrote:

what Apple have decided to do is spoof "fake" MAC addresses all in the name of "privacy". meanwhile Apple get to keep all your data by locking everything into your apple ID.

Given that the two main options for phones these days are either Android or iOS, I'd much rather give my money to a company who makes the lion-share of their profits from selling hardware than to a company who's sole purpose in life is exploiting data.

Apple may not be perfect from a privacy perspective, but my (partially informed) decision is that they are the lesser of two evils when it comes to my own privacy.