Menu
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 21 of 68
Flag for a moderator

Re: Windows10 version1909 November update

The update took 8 mins on my NVME drive PC and 16mins on my older SSD drive PC 😀

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 22 of 68
Flag for a moderator

Re: Windows10 version1909 November update

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/02/14/windows_10_patch_problems/

Another week, another bunch of Windows 10 machines punched by a patch.

"Users have found things reset to a seemingly default state and a temporary user account used for login, the desktop and taskbar shorn of icons, keyboard layouts changed, applications (such as Firefox) not working, and Windows 10 keen to have a user set up their profiles again."

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 23 of 68
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Windows10 version1909 November update (BORKEDNESS AND BUGS ALERT!)

!WINDOWS BORKEDNESS ALERT!

According to Brian the update below is borked and has been pulled by Mickeysoft (see the link below).  Therefore it should be uninstalled (if you have it).

WBA.jpg

If you have this on your system and click on the link (blue text here) it takes you here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4504418/servicing-stack-update-kb4504418 which is obviously wrong, hence why they've yanked it (screenshot below).  There's no reference to Windows 10 Home/Pro at all, which is rather odd.  Someone at Mickeysoft hasn't done their job properly.🙄

WSSS.jpg

For more information go here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4524244/security-update-for-windows-10-february-11-2020 

From the site:

1. Select the start button or Windows Desktop Search and type update history and select View your Update history.
2. On the Settings/View update history dialog window, Select Uninstall Updates.
3. On the Installed Updates dialog window, find and select KB4524244 and select the Uninstall button.
4. Restart your device.

Last screen you should get:

IA.jpg

5. It doesn't take long to uninstall.

6. Apologies for the dramatics. (this post took an hour to edit, BTW!)

Goodnight, it's past my bedtime.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 24 of 68
Flag for a moderator

Might this issue be common with this update ?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Downgrade-from-350-to-200-barely-getting-100/td-p/4154421

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 25 of 68
Flag for a moderator

Quite possibly.  There isn't much detail (that I can find) regarding what the problem was, or the effects of the update, as mentioned in the above post.  The whole thing is totally messed up.  I've said this before; it doesn't inspire confidence in Microsoft, [as a company and it's software].  Most of the population aren't computer science grads, and forcing botched updates on them isn't a good business model or strategy. I only found this out myself by chance as I happened to be browsing the tubes and watching Brian's video (other tubers around the world are aware of it too) otherwise I would have been completely unaware of it along with (millions of) other users.

There were a couple of broken updates before, so they have form. As I mentioned here, this could become (in a worst case scenario) an attack vector.

IMO it's not acceptable. Don't forget we trust Microsoft every day to keep our data as safe as possible, but once that trust is gone...

--
No system is 100% secure
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 26 of 68
Flag for a moderator

!WINDOWS BORKEDNESS ALERT! (2 - the sequel)

Here's Brian with another video:

This post crashed (I'm using Edge) whilst editing.  This is rather fortunate as what I had typed originally was wrong.  Before I could hit Post, it crashed on me.  The update is on my computer, but since nothing major has happened (data moving/deletion) and as other posters have had problems, I'm posting this as it may help other users with crashing/data deletion etc (something I haven't expereinced; although slow internet is/was).

WU190220.jpg

I have uninstalled the update in the red box but as the above screenshot shows, it still shows up as installed successfully and it still points to the link in my previous post.  There isn't any mention of uninstalling the update in the amber box as there was in KB4525244 on the page.

More information here: https://www.computing.co.uk/news/4010637/patch-tuesday-update-windows-10.

str19220.jpg

--
No system is 100% secure
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 27 of 68
Flag for a moderator

@MrHalfAsleep wrote:

!WINDOWS BORKEDNESS ALERT! (2 - the sequel)

<TRUNCATED>

I have uninstalled the update in the red box but as the above screenshot shows, it still shows up as installed successfully and it still points to the link in my previous post.  There isn't any mention of uninstalling the update in the amber box as there was in KB4525244 on the page.

The above KB number is wrong and should read 4524244 not 4525244 as written.  I spotted it too late to correct it. Apologies.

--
No system is 100% secure
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 28 of 68
Flag for a moderator

Greetings from my sister's laptop.  She is on 1903 and not 1909 which isn't trying to foist itself onto the machine.  I've uninstalled KB4524244 and it still shows up in windows update as successfully installed.  Wi-fi speeds are rubbish, so I've uninstalled KB4532693 to see if that sorts it out.  I'm due to restart the computer now, so I will see if it's made any difference or not.

I find it annoying that I am doing previous Microsoft employees testing in the wild.🙄

Uninstalling these updates hasn't solved the problem of slow wi-fi  (on this B815 laptop, so it is old) IME.

--
No system is 100% secure
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 29 of 68
Flag for a moderator

It just doesn't stop, this time it's Windows Security causing problems:

WSAV.jpg

It decided that Avast had not one, but three trojans.  Nothing was found and it slowed the whole scanning process down.

--
No system is 100% secure
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 30 of 68
Flag for a moderator

@MrHalfAsleep wrote:

It just doesn't stop, this time it's Windows Security causing problems:

It decided that Avast had not one, but three trojans.  Nothing was found and it slowed the whole scanning process down.

When you're using  Anti-Virus software, Windows Defender should be turned off as installing Anti-Virus software might cause conflicts with Microsofts own Anti-Virus setup and cause false positives.  I run only Windows Defender with occasional scans, Script and popup blocker in Firefox and a Hosts file as onboard security, and so far it seems to work OK, for more than 1year I haven't used any other AV and only occasionally check with Malwarebytes which is uninstalled again after running a check.

0 Kudos