cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi pods and distances

MichaelFergus
Joining in

Hi,

I'm building a shed come man cave in my garden. 

The garden is 30 meters in length and the shed will be placed at the far end of the garden.

I would like to use the house wifi router to connect to the internet from my shed but I think the distance between the house and the shed/man cave is too great. 

Does anyone know the best way to connect the shed/man cave to the house wifi rounter? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Outdoor grade ethernet cable from the hub to a wireless access point (WAP) of at least Cat 7.  The WAP is simply a router configured in access point mode, otherwise the two routers conflict and cause problems.  That will normally also give you for spare ethernet ports on the back of the WAP.  Any reasonable, modest cost router will be suitable, a TP-Link Archer C6 would be a good choice.  If looking at other routers, make sure they have gigabit etherent ports, not 10/100 etherent.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Outdoor grade ethernet cable from the hub to a wireless access point (WAP) of at least Cat 7.  The WAP is simply a router configured in access point mode, otherwise the two routers conflict and cause problems.  That will normally also give you for spare ethernet ports on the back of the WAP.  Any reasonable, modest cost router will be suitable, a TP-Link Archer C6 would be a good choice.  If looking at other routers, make sure they have gigabit etherent ports, not 10/100 etherent.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The WAP is simply a router configured in access point mode,” Wrong, a Wireless Access Point (WAP) is just a unit that transmits WiFi radio signals, usually on two bands 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Some do additionally have an extra RJ45 socket that either one device or a network switch can be connected. 

What has been described is what is often referred to as a home/retail router, which is also actually an incorrect term. It is a network device that contains a router, a WAP and a network switch. The router function can be disabled to put the device into what is called “bridge mode”.

Dictionary definition of a router, “A device on a network used for communication between two networks that can operate on different protocols”. It does say can operate on different protocols, but of course they can be the same protocol.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Congratulations @Tudor for adding layers of unnecessary complication that don't help one jot.  Maybe I missed it, but I thought MichaelFergus asked how to connect a man cave to the hub, not for a pedantic soliloquy about the terminology of routers and related devices.

In the makers comprehensive instructions for the exemplar router that I suggested, they use the term "access point", not the term "bridge mode".  Now back under your bridge, please.