cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media Vs sky Vs Freeview?

brett0123
Joining in

So ok this question may have been asked a few years back but now we are in 2023 with the cost of living, I thought I'll ask again.

My parents are paying £77 a month on broadband and sky TV alone. Channels they have and mainly watch are the movie channels.

I live with them and personally have an account with Disney+ and netflix which they can watch to with some alterations that plays Disney+ on their TV.

But I want to give them another option as well that costs less. Obviously we will have to have broadband for most services which we will be having still.

5 REPLIES 5

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As far as pay broadcast content is concerned you are stuck with Virgin Or Sky. Both offer Streaming products that carry the movie channels, but these are no good if you want to record programmes or films to watch at a more convenient time. Freeview is subscription free, but you won't get any Sky content (apart from Sky News, Sky Arts & Pick).

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @brett0123 

They could look at the Bigger bundle + Movies bundle ( M125 Fibre Broadband, Sky Cinema HD, 200+ TV channels & Weekend chatter) which is currently £62 a month for the minimum contract term of 18 months, although all VM prices  will rise in April 2024 by the February RPI rate plus 3.9%

That bundle includes all the channels listed in column 2 on the following page, plus the Sky Cinema channels.

/ChannelGuide_360_May_23.pdf  

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

dnpark38
Knows their stuff

Why not add a third vs Freesat?

If the TV has a satellite tuner built in just needs a dish to get Freesat which I use and far better quality than Freeview and more choice.

Open Reach FTTP via ZEN 100mbs

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I dropped VM TV a long time ago and have never missed any of it.  However, I don't watch any sport, so that is a saving ....  I find my Humax Freeview box is more that sufficient, and allows me to record and watch when it suits me, and the bonus of skipping all commercial ads.

Admittedly I do have a Firestick and I occasionally drop in and out of some streaming options, for a month. when there is something I really want to watch. I did have Sky Entertainment and Cinema for a special 3 month offer at £2 p.m. (cancelled of course when up) and didn't even watch Entertainment. That's how good I found it!

But horses for courses, and people will settle for whatever suits them  🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Alby41
Up to speed

My daughters Sky bill increased by thirty pounds or so , with children money is the thing .. well she said farewell and adieu to Sky TV and got a good deal on a freesat box from ..A_ _ _S .. she loves it , does not miss Sky TV. kept her broadband internet .. and landline phone but only accepts incoming TP calls .. gets free phone calls on her MTP with 3 .. UK etc ... best of it is after she cancels  SKY tried to get her back with offers etc to no avail ... she would not have cancelled in the first if they had left her alone ... freesat box is superb and quality .. she has a nice Toshiba smart TV with internet and can access Netflix , other popular apps also with ease.. Great TV .. so smart tv and freesat box which uses the sky dish easily ... just sayin..😊 ... No Virgin media in Cornwall where she resides ..