cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin future speed upgrades

CraigT1976
On our wavelength

Does anyone know if virgin plan on releasing new speed upgrades in the future faster than 1 gig, or more so upload speed increases?

I want to run a gaming dedicated server but 52mbs wont cut it, I can get 900mb up and down with cityfibre, and it's cheaper. I was wondering if anyone had any inside knowledge of what or if virgin are going to do about this new competition. I was thinking of paying the £40 per month and having the city fibre, and then canceling my virgin when my contracts up, but I didn't want to do this if virgin have something in the pipeline to compete with this.

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

Some really interesting debate/analysis here.  Some of the conclusions reached are there for all to see in the microcosm of my recent contract renewal. The monthly price dropped (for TV, Broadband and Landline) from £137 to £90, as long as I took a mobile deal from O2 as well (£25). It's not hard to see why O2 is profitable; add in the provision of free Netflix and you can start to see why VM is clearly not so.

It was interesting to see the recent announcement from the BBC regarding 'linear programming', which they thought would be dead in the water within five years other than for sports broadcasting. Assuming this to be true, its hard to see where VM fit in the future media landscape:

1. They don't produce content (Netflix, Amazon Prime, ITV, C4, C5/Paramount, Disney all well established, Sky scrambling to fully establish themselves)
  2. Converting their network to FTTP would use money they don't have (but that said, their speeds are more than enough for most subscribers).
  3. Their kit (which is ostensibly free) is far from market leading, and that's assuming you can get the latest stuff even when you've been offered it.
  4. Customer service is horrible, pricing is random, loyalty is exploited, not rewarded, and pray to a god of your choice should things go wrong!

If (and I accept it's a big if) these things remain unchanged, then it's hard to see how VM get themselves out of the hole they are in. Where can they add value in an increasingly content driven landscape and where content aggregation is no longer as important as it was?

It would seem to make sense to move towards a business model based on VOIP Phone/Mobile/Broadband.  Make subscribers provide their own Router and kit, or sell/rent them compliant kit (as Sky currently do).  If they want to stay in TV, they need to have exclusive (and desirable) content.

Tim Davie, BBC's Director-General, has talked about moving away from broadcast TV and radio to digital as internet-only distribution provides users with better services and choice than broadcast allows. He is not expecting that linear TV is going to die anytime soon, rather its delivery method will change.

VM doesn't have to make its own content, same applies to almost all the other cablescos. If you look at the US market Charter Communications, the second biggest cableco, is winding down its original programming business and has a joint venture with Comcast, the third biggest, to develop Comcast's Flex (its aggregated streaming platform and hardware) to rival the likes of Roku. In short, their strategy is the same as VM's - an aggregator of other peoples' content. VM is well-placed here as it already has most of the channels and apps available to keep both customers and content owners happy, its network is good and is being expanded and upgraded to XGS-PON and DVB-C for broadcast transmission will be replaced by the more efficient IP in the finite amount of available spectrum.

Of course VM's customer service should be much better, and the directors have to sort this out.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@Andrew-G wrote:

With a worsening economic climate and rising interest rates VM may even choose to slow the progress on that, because investment like that consumes a lot of cash for no immediate commercial return, and that's money VM have to borrow.

I am shocked that VM have to borrow money.

They take in £250,000,000 per month if you calculate 5M customers paying a median of £50 p/m.

That equates to THREE BILLION per year.

The fact that VM needs to borrow money to lay fibre cabling after almost two decades cash-cowing the UK's CATV network, instead of just paying for it out of internal revenues just shows how much cash is being syphoned out of the business.

The only reason they would borrow money is to have the total amount of contract in their accounts immediately. So if you show the lender you have 5 million 18 month contracts worth £50p/m they can lend you the entire lump sum of 4.5 BILLION pounds after just a month.

Also VM doesn't pay for rising interest rates out of the CEO's yacht fund! The customer ultimately always pays for any and all business costs. All costs are paid by the customer at the end of the day + money for the CEO's yacht. You're speaking as if VM will give away broadband contracts for free or the CEO needs to make some sort of sacrifice to give people what they pay for.

asim18
Fibre optic

@CraigT1976 wrote:

Does anyone know if virgin plan on releasing new speed upgrades in the future faster than 1 gig, or more so upload speed increases?

I want to run a gaming dedicated server but 52mbs wont cut it, I can get 900mb up and down with cityfibre, and it's cheaper. I was wondering if anyone had any inside knowledge of what or if virgin are going to do about this new competition. I was thinking of paying the £40 per month and having the city fibre, and then canceling my virgin when my contracts up, but I didn't want to do this if virgin have something in the pipeline to compete with this.

Thanks

The more important thing here is latency, hosting a server is not just about bandwidth. If you want best latency it would be better to house your game server in a datacentre with dedicated internet access and good peering arrangements. Even 100Mb DIA will be far better than a 1Gb domestic provider. (unless your server needs to serve large mod files to newly connecting gamers.)

A good datacentre will give you sub 1ms latency to the nearest internet exchange point and they will have better peering arrangements to other national IXPs... A domestic connection will be anywhere between 10-15ms to the nearest IXP which is 10-15 times slower, and will also have terrible low priority upstream peering to national IXPs.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@asim18 wrote:

@Andrew-G wrote:

With a worsening economic climate and rising interest rates VM may even choose to slow the progress on that, because investment like that consumes a lot of cash for no immediate commercial return, and that's money VM have to borrow.

I am shocked that VM have to borrow money.

They take in £250,000,000 per month if you calculate 5M customers paying a median of £50 p/m.

That equates to THREE BILLION per year.

The fact that VM needs to borrow money to lay fibre cabling after almost two decades cash-cowing the UK's CATV network, instead of just paying for it out of internal revenues just shows how much cash is being syphoned out of the business.

The only reason they would borrow money is to have the total amount of contract in their accounts immediately. So if you show the lender you have 5 million 18 month contracts worth £50p/m they can lend you the entire lump sum of 4.5 BILLION pounds after just a month.

Sorry for slow response, you're right - Virgin Media Ltd (so ignoring O2) had turnover of £3.4 billion in 2021 according to their published accounts.  Unfortunately their cost of sales was £900 million (mainly pass through costs for TV content and day to day network operating costs), and their administrative expenses (sales, marketing & advertising, customer services, billing, internal IT/HR, facilities etc) were £2.6bn.  If I ignore other operating income (a transfer from other group companies), then in 2021 VM Ltd didn't even make an operating profit, never mind pay for the amortisation of well over £10bn of assets nor the interest on the debt.  As per the earlier post, there's so much smoke and mirrors on the accounting side that the truth is more nuanced, but the broad brush picture is clear enough if you look.

To say cash is being syphoned out of the business might be read to imply that somebody's making a killing with ill-gotten gains but that isn't evident.  Certainly the lenders will be being paid, but the crux of the profitability questions seems to be that VM's routine business costs (once you include interest and amortisation) appear to be substantially higher than the UK broadband market will support.  In the US, cable companies often have well protected local monopolies, and can and do charge what they like for an often miserable service.  In the UK there's Openreach alternatives, growing mobile broadband options and a growing number of altnet fibre providers (CityFibre, Hyperoptic, Gigaclear, Lit, and the like), whose networks now pass one in three UK homes.  There are of course a small number of VM customers that will choose to stick with VM and pay undiscounted pricing, but most are seeking a deal to stay or take their business elsewhere, and this explains why the net customer growth from seven years of network extension through Project Lightning is diddly squat.  In economic terms, VM are a price taker, with large Openreach-using ISPs being the price setters.  A few VM customers have always paid more for better speeds, but even that slice of the market is being eroded by other options - I've been with VM for 25+ years, but recently switched to an Openreach FTTP option, giving me faster speeds than I'd chosen from VM for less money.  VM's retention team would have discounted heavily to keep me (if I'd allowed them, and only after I'd issued cancellation notice, not before), but that then converts me to a very low profit customer.

All in all, the outlook is not good for VM, with no obvious means of improving profitability, fast growing high speed competition, and a need to renew their UK infrastructure to eliminate coax.  Telefonica (Spanish owners of O2) thought that merging O2 with VM was a great way forward, I suspect they're starting to realise that they've made the most awful and irretrievable mistake.

RavenLunatic
Tuning in

EE UK Launch 1.6Gbps Full Fibre Broadband - hopefully VM will respond soon.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Don't get too excited about 1.6Gbps when the supplied router only has 1Gbps LAN ports.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection