cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading an area to VoIP

Luqybb91
Dialled in

So I've read about Virgin switching all of their customers over to VoIP by 2025. I've also read on this forum, that Virgin is only offering the VoIP service to new customers. So my questions are; what is stopping Virgin from giving it to existing customers? and, does it require Virgin to run new lines, or make changes at the cabinet, like installing new hardware?

17 REPLIES 17

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Although people say it is VOIP it is actual in fact a technology called 21CV, currently that type if connection is only available for customer in the Purple zone, if you look at https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Phone%20User%20Guide.pdf it explains how to find the zone you are in i.e. dial 1765.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

Hello

Although people say it is VOIP it is actual in fact a technology called 21CV, currently that type if connection is only available for customer in the Purple zone, if you look at https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Phone%20User%20Guide.pdf it explains how to find the zone you are in i.e. dial 1765.

Regards Mike

That's the wrong way around 😉

The home phone call feature zones aren't geographic, but based on the hardware your home phone runs on. For the older landlines there are several different types of TDM switch hardware depending on which cable company your area used to use.

However all customers on 21CV are in the Purple Zone for phone features.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

I checked and apparently I'm in the red zone, so I guess voip is out of the question?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
All that's saying is that your existing phone line is in the red zone. If / when you move to the Hub based line you'd move to the purple zone.

But at the moment there is no way to just request a change. That will come and then eventually everyone will me moved over.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

As someone with an over the top voip setup. I would question why anyone would want a VM telephony solution.

To put my system into perspective. I have 2 Sipgate basic circuits. Plus a 3 line Sipgate trunk that costs £5 per month. The basics cost nothing. Then there are of course outgoing call costs.

I connect all to a pi running freepbx. I  work from home so one basic and a trunk line are assigned for work calls and fax. A second basic is assigned for the house.i have sip phone in the office a second in the house. All household mobiles also run SIP.

Meaning anyone calling the house get ivr directing to my wife or I. Even when mobile we still get the calls etc. To the office the ivr offers sales service development etc.

The best part was at one time I had numbers in three local towns. Meaning for a small business, it made me look bigger as customers would prefer to call a local number and not an anonymous mobile etc.

Also far easier to call between office and house and to be able to transfer the calls etc.

All for the cost of a pi

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

Hello

21CV is not a technology, rather it's a programme that migrates the telephone network from PSTN to IP. PSTN is circuit switched and part of the migration involves replacing the TDM switches with IP voice switches.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

What does 21CV stand for? 

That's just plain showing off!.... AND I love it 👌

My area/road is in the process of getting migrated to fibre phone. What I do not know is, if that means voip or something else. I am in the yellow zone, but also fed up of being ripped off by VM. We recently have fttp available from Community Fibre so I am wondering if this puts me in the best position to ditch VM telephone and bb and move onto voip.

May I ask how the call quality is on voip?

I would also be very grateful if you can give me any pointers as to how you did your setup?

Many thanks