Menu
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 31 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Re: Telephone Sockets On Back Of Hub 3

If you read the full document that's been published there are quite a few caveats from OFCOM as to the final solution that each provider can do.

For instance, there is no requirement to make any solution free for all customers:
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/123118/guidance-emergency-access-power-cut.pdf

A1.26 Providers should, as a minimum, offer the solution free of charge to those customers who are at risk as they are dependent on their landline.

A1.27 Some customers who are offered the solution may choose to decline it if they feel they have alternative protection, and they should be able to make this choice. In this scenario, the provider should ensure the fact that the phone will not work in the event of a power cut is clearly highlighted to the customer, and the process and decision should be carefully documented.

A1.28 It should be noted that offering the solution free of charge to those dependent on their landline is a minimum, and providers may choose to provide the solution free of charge to more/all of their customers if they consider that appropriate.

Nor do OFCOM mandate a specific technical solution for the emergency access:

A1.11 The obligations in GCA3 are technology neutral and therefore we do not intend to prescribe what type of solution providers should employ for the purposes of providing access to emergency organisations in the event of a power cut at the customer’s premises.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 32 of 44
Flag for a moderator

i bet if viring (and any others that use similar methods) printed it big bold at the top of any sign up page that you would lose your phone in the event of a power cut then they would see a quick drop in customers wantint to take a landline.

as such this is hidden away in the small print for that very reason.

it's quite differnet to have VOIP as an option, but for it now to be forced upon with these, quite serious IMO, limitations is another thing. i await the first major incident to occur and for it to hit the press and the s*** will hit the fan.
0 Kudos
KiwiMike74
Tuning in
Message 33 of 44
Flag for a moderator

A stand alone phone line like the bt one or the bt style one that vm install when they put docis 3 in. if its only a fttp they should by law put a second standard phone line.this will only be done if you stait that you need it for medical monitoring reasons etc
0 Kudos
KiwiMike74
Tuning in
Message 34 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I have had a Virgin engineer here to fix my phoneline as it had to much Noise on it, they are replacing the whole cable back to the cabinet!

However He said you can have VoIP on docsis3 if it is enabled in the area which mine is not!!!!

so it dosent have to be on FTTP!

Come on Virgin role out Voip every where sonner!
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 35 of 44
Flag for a moderator

"i bet if viring (and any others that use similar methods) printed it big bold at the top of any sign up page"
That is why all providers are moving to VOIP. Landlines are dead. Do many people have mobiles and no need of landlines they do not want the extra cost of building and maintaining a POTS based network. Doing it this way they ahve no network to maintain for the phones as such. Just a VOIP gateway somewhere and the internet that everyone wants.

By 2025 when BT get rid iof POTs lines no one will have them anyway

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 36 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Just to be clear: replacing PSTN with VoIP does not require replacing all the phone wires with fibre by 2025 (which would be impossible anyway). The line cards in the exchanges will handle VoIP calls over existing copper wires.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
oscareo
On our wavelength
Message 37 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I have enabled modem mode, one of the ethernet ports work fine, but when I connect my house phone to the telephone sockets at the back of the Hub, it doesn't give me a line. Should it be working or am I missing something?

Do I need to enable Telephony in my Hub settings?

0 Kudos
oscareo
On our wavelength
Message 38 of 44
Flag for a moderator

What type of adapter?

0 Kudos
oscareo
On our wavelength
Message 39 of 44
Flag for a moderator

What adapter do you have plugged in to the phone socket?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
paul0363
Superfast
Message 40 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Is VoIP enabled on your line?

Check by logging into your Hub (192.168.100.1 in modem mode).  The welcome page should look loke this:

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos