cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP Address

Pitrevie
Joining in

I am in need of two static addresses one for my PC and one for my NAS in order to take advantage of Wake-on-LAN (WoL). From what I can see this is impossible to set up with the Virgin Media Hub so am I right in thinking the only way of doing this is to configure the VM Hub as a modem and then attach it to a router and configure it on the router?

3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your own router is always best. You are confusing ‘static IP address’ with ‘DHCP Reserved IP address.

A static IP address is set on your device. A DHCP reserved IP address is set on the VM hub. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Client62
Legend

1) In the VM Hub menu  DHCP >>> Reserved List  add the MAC Addresses of the two devices and allocate them an IP, the DHCP process will now allocate these devices the specified IPs.

2) Just assign a static IP on each device by hand,  use IPs between 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.9 inclusive i.e. just below the start of the DHCP range.

We have 4 devices with static IPs, we use both methods depending on the abilities of the device.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

You don't have to have a static or reserved IP address as Wol packets can be sent to DDNS or MAC address.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection