Menu
DuncanWilson
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Remove Virgin Media Box

Hi there, we bought our house 4 years ago. It had a Virgin Media box on the front wall, which has been damaged since we moved in. I would like this removed as the wires are exposed and it is dangerous. We aren't likely to become Virgin Media customers in the future. I'd appreciate any guidance on how we can remove this box. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Remove Virgin Media Box

In all honesty, you may struggle to get VM to remove this - they'll certainly attend to any H&S hazards, but if you're not a paying customer, you can't expect them to do much (any) more

Outright removal of their kit will cost money for which they get no return, and will also make any future installation (for yourself or new owners) that bit harder.

With all that in mind, if you post some pictures of the wallbox and exposed wires - it may help.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
goslow
Superstar
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@DuncanWilson wrote:

Hi there, we bought our house 4 years ago. It had a Virgin Media box on the front wall, which has been damaged since we moved in. I would like this removed as the wires are exposed and it is dangerous. We aren't likely to become Virgin Media customers in the future. I'd appreciate any guidance on how we can remove this box. Thanks! 

You'll be given an answer from a random selection of possibilities as to whether VM will/will not do anything about the box and cable. It probably won't get a reply here in 'Tech Chatter' though. Wait a day or two and see if someone moves the topic for you to a forum where the VM forum team do reply.

If it does get referred on, it will likely go to an 'area manager' some of whom deal with requests promptly or often just ignore them completely or return a flat 'no' to such requests. Posting up some pic's of the issue might help but if you are not a VM customer may not make any difference.

IMHO though, if you can VM to repair the box, that is a better bet to try and keep the possibility of the connection. Although you have no plan to use VM now, you may need to in the future for some reason. If you remove VM cable etc. your property may be deemed non-serviceable in the future by VM. (I had no intention at all of ever returning to BT but have just done so when I couldn't renew with VM)

(Edit: reply crossed with japitts)

0 Kudos
DuncanWilson
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies. I'll post pictures tomorrow and will see what happens. It needs sorting one way or another as it's currently dangerous due to exposed wires. I asked a local electrician to look at fixing or removing the box, but he was reluctant to touch it as he thought it was Virgin Media property. 

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

To calm your concerns whilst waiting to post the pictures,  there isn't anything in a VM omnibox on the outside of a property that could be considered dangerous.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jem101
Superstar
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Firstly what I would say is from an electrical point of view, these cables are not in the least way dangerous. There is next to no voltage on them. Now legally, you are certainly entitled to remove it all and cut the cable at the boundary of your property and put it all in a skip - technically, it is all VM property so what you ‘should’ do is to write to them and say that they have x days (30 wouldn’t be unreasonable) to collect their property after which you will dump it. Now in reality you won’t even get a responses let along someone turning up - but at least you have fulfilled all legal requirements.

However, is there any chance that you or a future purchase of your properly might want to take up a VM provision? Simply cutting the cables might well make VM conclude that reinstating it isn’t worth their while and mark the property as not serviceable - permanently!

0 Kudos
DuncanWilson
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

• 226D94D9-52EC-453E-AA0E-682CD33984C8.jpeg

Here is the box with exposed wires  

0 Kudos
goslow
Superstar
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My own wall box outside is a similar design but a bit older. With my own box, you hook the lid over the top edge of the back plate to attach it and the small moulded plastic loop at the bottom of the backing plate pokes through the hole in the front of the lid. You push a cable tie through the loop to stop the lid springing out from the cables inside.

Unless the box is smashed in some way not clear in the photo, you should be able to stuff the wires up to the back plate, hook on the lid and secure everything inside with a cable tie through the loop on the front. (In the absence of a cable tie use a bent piece of wire, nail etc. etc.)

0 Kudos