Menu
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 11 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Re: Reporting spam emails to Virginom boots

"the final solution" - worked it out while gardening today 7 point plan, I have done this today Friday 10/04/2020

1.stop using primary email if getting nasty spam, set up a new main email with a good provider

2.do not read or click any spam emails which are probably phishing/malware (can be group/individually ticked and deleted if required)

3.forward a regular email to your primary address from a "throwaway email address" to keep it active and safe to click on your own email to keep active.

4.choose a different email to use as your "main email" which can be any provider with good security and spam filtering.

5. finally forget about the hacked/spammed primary email and  just service it occasionally as suggested  in (3) every week or month.

6. look our for any genuine emails that you do recognise and switch  to your new email  via their company website.

7. by keeping "control" of your primary email and a good strong password changed often this prevents the email being hacked and used for illicit purposes

NOTE- this my own solution and is not intended to be advice to others, it work for me though and protects me from phishing spam/malware.

closing finally on this subject, ALF28 community member.Solved it myself, no help or comments from other members on this one, unusual? but previous discussions and answers from members/forum were useful and guided me I hope.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 12 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Re: Reporting spam emails to Virginom boots

just reporting my spam problem has now disappeared, because  I filter I all emails to a named spam folder, using filters both to block spam but direct the emails you want to go to the inbox,  which have known from/to data including my own auto forward emails from a throw away email which feeds a regular newsletter to my primary email keeps it active. Works brilliantly , so just occasionally view my own named spam folder to check  for any genuine emails, I use my own named spam  folder not the virgin one that deletes after 30 days could loose data that way. Also I ensure in settings that emails should be tagged spam and sent to inbox and also ensure html is not ticked just in case I click on a dodgy email by accident.

In a way I am using reverse logic, by directing wanted emails only to the inbox as an exception (filter) to all other emails going to a named spam folder

the first filter is set to direct known email senders  (from) or forewarded emails (to) and enter the from/ to name accordingly, and action file to inbox

untick susbsequent rules.

The second filter simply sends any remaining emails mainly spam to a named spam folder you have created "myspam" for instance, then set up filter to detect from @ and this catches all remaining emails  (action -file- myspam) that are unknown or need checking to your own named spam folder, where they can remain until you check/ delete them. This way no spam get to your inbox meaning you can set up in the first filter any person you trust to go to the inbox and no spam ever gets to the inbox. I advise never to read or click if you suspect spam just delete it out.

so only named wanted emails from chosen senders ever get to the inbox, wonderful and much safer way of working and enables a primary email still to be used but requires filters to be set up and some knowledge of filter settings, but do remember to check the named spam folder also to see what lands there.

Also thus gets around the problem of spammers continually changing sender address as the from @ in filters will catch all spam forever.

my opinion only.it work great for me, spam problem solved after may years of problems, defence is best. This is a permanent solution once set up.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 13 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam & Data Breach

Data Breach more thoughts

boothy99

My virginmedia account log in details were changed years prior to breach, do I need to change login details again (user name) and can that only be done via a phone call that may take hours. Do I need to change it again?

Not sure what was released in the data breach does it include virgin account log in details username/password or primary email or contact address's, profile, address. phone number,  bank details, does anyone have a list  of what exactly was disclosed as I did get a text sms alert about the breach but not sure if affects me as part of the 1 million users data being exposed for many months. I do get a lot of spam but always have.

I get contact emails/adverts from virgin both to my log in email/contact address  (third party address) and also to a past since changed email contact  address (adverts)

I recently changed my virgin password so assume I am safe, although  the  login email I now use for the virgin account is two step step so should be secure perhaps I need to follow up with changing third party log in details passwords. Not sure how the breach affects my security??

Any advice from member/forum and how do I know if I was breached as I did not get an email or letter so unsure if I was on the breach ,but I did get text with weblink to the  announcement only.

Is there any follow up advice from the forum, viginmedia on  what was released and what checks may be needed if that is the case or protective measures  advised or required??  seems like a grey area with some getting no letter but having problems after the breach which lasted  about 10 months? but with a more recent incident /exposure incident.

I happens often and usually changing all password is the only solution I know. In view of this incident perhaps virgin should improve their own security to protect itself and also its customers.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 14 of 49
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi ALF28, 

Thanks for your post, 

To reassure potentially impacted individuals, the database did NOT include any passwords or financial details (such as bank account numbers or credit card information). The following is all the types of information included in the database, but affected individuals may have only had certain details included (rather than all of them):

• Contact details (name, address, email address, phone number)
  • Technical and product information
  • Requests they may have made to us using forms on our website
  • Account number (but not their site ID)
  • In a very small number of cases, it included date of birth.

Any customer's that were affected would have received an email within 48 hours from the 5th March, if you didn't' receive  an email you wouldn't have been affected. 

Hope this help 🙂

Sololobo
Superstar
Message 15 of 49
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

https://community.turgensec.com/virgin-media-disclosure-statement/

The Data Headings as Observed By TurgenSec

• “AccountUid”
  • “AccountNumber”
  • “AreaCode”
  • “AddressLine1”
  • “AddressLine2”
  • “AddressLine3”
  • “AddressLine4”
  • “AddressLine5”
  • “Channel”
  • “Title”
  • “FirstName”
  • “LastName”
  • “DateOfBirth”
  • “EmailAddress”
  • “MobileNumber”
  • “Postcode”
  • “AlternativeContactNumber”
  • “LostDateTime”
  • “ImeiNumber”
  • “DateTimeStamp”
  • “IpAddress”
  • “AcceptTerms”
  • “FriendsFirstName”
  • “FriendsLastName”
  • “FriendsEmail”
  • “FriendsContactNumber”
  • “MessageToFriend”
  • “IsEmailSent”
  • “PromoCode”
  • “DateTimeStamp”
  • “EmailAddress”
  • “Referrer”
  • “ProductHolding”
  • “TvTier”
  • “TelTier”
  • “BbTier”
  • “CellCode”
  • “CampaignCell”
  • “CampaignCode”
  • “OfferType”
  • “RegistrationState”
  • “DeviceType”
  • “SkyMoviesFlag”
  • “SkySportsFlag”
  • “SkyPremiumFlag”

Also worth a read; https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/03/06/virgin_more_leak_details/

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 16 of 49
Flag for a moderator

sololobo/alex_rm

Thanks a lot for your information on the data breach, I do not think I was affected as I had no email (I did get a text on mobile though) but have taken the precaution of changing  user name and also password and security question just to be on the safe side. I was surprised at the extent of the data included.

I was getting strange spam email of late from Netflix (password reset ), boots  (coronavirus) etc but I get lots anyway.

If any of the data was exposed to third parties that would be of concern but at least virgin have advised customers. The hackers can target all companies and the worst hacking  may  from Russia, China and the USA for example  but can be from anywhere. I presume virgin will improve security after this breach.

ALF28

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 17 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Re spam email

I find that the spam emails follow a pattern and are easily recognisable. If the spam setting is set to tag spam then virgin filters will tag as spam, but often the email is obviously spam (even if not tagged spam), just by looking at the subject such as bitcoin etc.  I get  fake ones recently Netflix password reset, Halifax, boots etc. Some are more difficult to judge so be cautious and if you do have accounts that are mentioned in phishing emails check your account by going to the web page and log in to check account rather than click on email links. Also some email just keep repeating so can be ignored if obvious spam.

If someone is using your email address and it looks like you have a subscription or login  to  webpage  you are unsure about, you can check if genuine by going to the legitimate web site (boots, Netflix etc) and checking if you have a login by entering your email then "forgot password", if someone or yourself has registered your email it will send a password reset to your email, it is rare but I have several times found my email registered and reset the password successfully. This may happen due to companies holding old data and sending our marketing emails but can be genuine in some cases, or someone may be messing with your email address using hacked data, that is  more concerning.

If an email is clicked and  read it can give feedback to the sender that you are reading emails and they know you exist so will send more, so in some cases best just to ignore if it is marked spam by virgin or from a company you have no connection with. Email is main tool now used by hackers to get into your computer and easier than defeating antivirus software and firewalls.

Recently my own new policy is  just to "ignore the obvious spam" and "do not interact with it" then the amount of spam seems to reduce, as spammers send bulk mailings they are looking for anyone who clicks on the email then they know you exist  (tracking) and "can dangerous to press unsubscribe" as it could  be a remote link.

Very good information on the subject of spam/phishing on the Virgin Security-Hub (google it)  subject "email" is good and worth reading.

So rather than spending time and effort , getting annoyed, reporting it, etc, it may be better just to ignore /delete the spam, and switch your email to a clean new email and ditch the spam infested email address. However filters in setting can be used to divert spam away from your inbox, a good tactic.

Blacklisting is good for repeated senders but no good for spammers who keep switching sender address often the case.

Once hackers/spammers are using your email address daily as in my case  it is compromised and best to change email in my opinion.

Just my opinions, not professional advice.Alf28

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 18 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Fake phising Halifax online

Recent example of  a fake Halifax online spam email was sourced via a virgin media ip address in warwick, have had similar before, tagged as spam but originating from a virgin source ip so unusual that virgin will tag as spam yet coming from a virgin ip address so may indicate virgin servers may be used for sending spam which may be from spambots? or part of the virgin network has a spambot?

similar emails repeated but from Ireland Dublin (not virgin ip)

0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 19 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Spambot Traps?  

approx. 15 billion spams are sent each day so spam mainly  from spambots and  is a huge problem.

once spammers have got your email address you will be sent spam so have a public and a private address separate.

isp internet service providers can have spambot traps to identify old email address being used for spam activity etc

Some virgin email address's are used for sending spam and also yahoo, gmail. outlook etc.

judging by some spam received I wonder if virgin actively trap the spambots  but they will and should suspend virgin email address's  sending spam.

sender address' may also be spoofed to mislead they are from a genuine company

older emails address's are prone to spam as they are collected by spammers from websites, social media etc.

fake banking emails, Netflix, boots etc are currently coming to my inbox.

the spambots (compuer software) keep changing the sender address continually and are automated using web crawlers so are almost impossible to stop.

therefore keeping your personal email address low profile is necessary, and have more than one for different purposes.

If an email gets lots of spam then it need replacing, virgin can not do this if it is a primary email so use alternatives is my advice to stop the spambots.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 20 of 49
Flag for a moderator

BLACKMAIL EMAILS

Got one today via a Hotmail email address claiming to have my password and asking for payment connected with videos.

Get this one regularly wanting large payment in bitcoin in 24 hours or they send videos to your contacts, had this 9 times over 2 years.

Just ignored but can imagine it could concern people to get this type of extorsion email. This is an example of very dangerous spam/fraud

They actually quote a password which is an old one.

When this type of criminal email gets to your inbox then the email is no longer safe to use as hackers are using the email which can not be removed or changed by virgin and remains a massive security risk to virgin customers that a corrupted email has to be tolerated however bad.

In these days of high technology it should be a simple task to change a primary email address or remove it and prevent it being re-used by hackers or spambots in the future, perhaps virgin is still in the dark ages or has no concern for its users safety. They do not seem to have a department for the email service?. Rather than waiting 150 days to de-activate there should be a system of instantly shutting an email  address down that is getting nasty email.

I would not recommend using virgin email when these terrible emails are allowed to get to customers with no recourse, I have tried over several years to shut down my primary email or change it  but now have ceased to use it but it remains a target for dangerous fraudsters. I am aware that it is  not virgin's fault but they perhaps need to review their email policy/system to protect customers who could be in danger from old emails still in use.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos