Menu
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hacked??? Help!

hacking-social engineering

hackers try to get as much data on a person as possible using social media, hacked data, hacked web sites, etc and email phishing. Spam is often part of the process to get your bank details or login details to an account with fake web site links.

Virgin are not responsible for the hacking/spamming as they simply deliver the emails, and as pointed out they do mark many as spam, so best to ignore if marked a spam or in spam folder.

I have emails with other companies and also virginmedia.com secondary email all relatively spam free except for my primary email ntlworld.com (which is on the have I been pawned list 6 times). I did read that a server in the Netherlands is responsible for the spam but my observations over a few years is that the same few hackers are just repeating the same similar spams/scams over and over ,slightly different each time to avoid tracing or it could even be an automated spambot. I tried reporting these many times nothing stops the spam and scams however bad so I no longer report them now.

View in text only switch off html to minimise malware. Some emails are dangerous even to open as they feed back data on your device and can contain dodgy links etc.

The virgin system had a recent data breach which if exploited makes hacking more possible so the advice to change all password is good using a mixture of characters. I think it is no coincidence that hacking activity and spam activity is happening although not new the hackers may have more data from any recent  data breach to identify victims to target.

As the virgin system does not have two step security it is probably easier to hack than other systems. Recently the spam emails have reduced in my case, possibly due to covid19 lockdown they may be taking a break, but still get some most days just less than usual lately.

As the primary email can not be changed then if it is the" I have been pawned site" you  will always be spam bombed so best to switch to other emails and not use the primary email as your computer security and identity may be under attack from a hacker who seems or pretend they know you and may also have your contacts and send spoofed mail from your own contacts .Emails can be registered with the have I been pwned site so that they send an alert each time an email is hacked, I have only ever had one hacked and it is my ntlworld.com email.

ALF28

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 45
Flag for a moderator

20APR

UPDATE on blackmail emails.

I got another one today 01.10 this morning, exactly same threatening blackmail  email but the sender address  was  changed to outlook.com, the previous one was a hotmail.com.

These are sent via Microsoft outlook but the email address's both verify as unknown. The Hotmail was Netherlands server  Amsterdam, the outlook was server in Singapore. Not sure if same person did both but they are identical but with different sender names.

Both were from Microsoft azure, probably spoofed email address or hacked. Spoke to a forum team member yesterday and advised just to ignore such emails and do not take them seriously.

alf28

Tags (1)
20Apr
Tuning in
Message 3 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Out of interest, what did the email say? I didn't open mine, so all I got was the opening few words, which showed my password (long since changed) and the message saying "I know this is your password and I require your attention....." Is that what yours said?
0 Kudos
Kippies
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 45
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 45
Flag for a moderator

update on sextortion blackmail emails-

my latest one from outlook.com has increasingly threatening language and obscenities and wanting O.5 bitcoin blackmail payment to bitcoin.

looked it up in action fraud-

A sextortion phishing scam, first identified by the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB) in July 2018, continues to be reported to Action Fraud in high numbers.

So far this month, Action Fraud has received 9,473 reports of this email scam, with 200 reports made in the last week. 

The emails contain the victim’s own password in the subject line and demand a payment in Bitcoin to prevent videos of the victim, on their computer visiting adult websites, being shared.

An example of typical sextortion email is on the action fraud site, I avoid posting  exact details of these emails which is offensive.

I have forwarded recent 3  emails I received and some older ones to the email address report@phishing.gov.uk

Also forwarded  all to abuse@outlook.com. In the case of a virgin sender address or your own address being used send to phi...

I use text only view in settings  in thunderbird to prevent any html code in the email doing anything dangerous.

I am surprised there have been 9;473  in one monthreports of sextortion email but the scam is still active, perhaps action fraud can not stop these emails, but they still want examples forwarding to report@phishing.gov.uk

As you can see the sextortion scam is bulk emailed to many people In the hope that someone will pay the ransom.

If anyone has paid a ransom the police can investigate, however I suspect the criminals hide themselves very well using fake email address's etc

Alf28

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 45
Flag for a moderator

my post was edited to remove the "virgin phishing address" to send email to so it can be looked up in google, but is a combination of the words phishing, @ , virginmedia, .com without the commas.

not sure why it was edited but was done automatically on posting.

ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 45
Flag for a moderator

some of the wording in my post deleted/truncated perhaps due to hyperlinks etc., I use thunderbird email client to report/forward emails to phishing because the virgin webmail can block sending any emails containing spam to phishing, even with thunderbird I found some were blocked so there may be something nasty spam content in these emails but managed to send all the recent ones OK using thunderbird and got replies to say received (not mail fails I get from virgin with some spam). this bit was missing from my post?

0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 45
Flag for a moderator

FOREWARDING SPAM EMAILS- correction/warning- possible risk think twice?

It is well documented in posts that spam content prevents sending via virgin webmail to phishing

I have today forward phishing email using thunderbird email client (windows)

However I remembered why I stopped doing this , there is a risk.

When I tried to send a virgin phishing email to virgin  via thunderbird, even though it was set to view "text only", when it is forwarded this can bypass the text only setting and the email will be displayed with images, coloured text and probably html switched on which can be dangerous, could connect with servers for remote content or send data back to the sender. This problem is the same in android where images are switched off but re-appear when forwarding using android apps email clients. This means forwarding emails that are risky from hackers/spammers may be too risky, and that may be why virgin block the forwarding of these emails even though they have delivered them to your inbox. Perhaps I know now that the advice to forward spam emails to phishing could be impossible with virgin but using email clients to get around the blocking may put your own computer at some risk.

When I saw images popping up on a virgin spam email I had to abort the forwarding and although I successfully did forward blackmail email with no problem ( may have had no images) am stopping short at forwarding other phishing  concerning virgin media business, Netflix. Halifax, tsb, tesco  etc.

It may benefit the companies to know who is phishing  but there is not a safe. reliable  method to do this without an element of risk to your computer/data.

So it could be virgin media Do Block  Spam/phishing Forwarding With Spam Content "for good reason" and I will do the same now, do not touch them at all, avoid the risk, forwarding  to phishing  as advised by virgin is not good practice in my opinion, do it at your own risk?

It would be better if the spam filtering was improved to block people using virgin servers to send spam or scams and even using virgin email address's to send them, something wrong somewhere?  If an email can not be forwarded in virgin email then it is Dangerous but they have Delivered it to your inbox and does not always have spam tag warning either. I have noted that some scam emails are coming from virgin servers looking at the first time stamp of "received from" in the  source code which may indicate spam sourced from virgin servers such as NTL and VIRGINM with spoofed sender address's. or in some cases virgin address's  that may be hacked sending spam.

my opinions only not official in any way, alf28

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 45
Flag for a moderator

forwarding does not work?

Having looked at forwarded phishing emails the content is just question marks in diamonds with no headers so would be of little use without full headers copied and sent, not sure if the scam emails have some way of preventing forwarding   headers but the data shows body content in some cases but without headers is untraceable, so simply forwarding an email  to phishing of little practical use. it is more trouble than it is worth.

The html attachments are required and that is where it becomes dangerous, spamcop for instance require full html email version.

The subject is complicated and best avoided unless you know what you are doing and what risks could occur meddling with scam/spam emails.

Best in my own opinion just to stay clear of them, however nasty or upsetting blackmail emails can be but the advice on how to deal with such emails is not always clear what to do or not do, ignoring them is best do nothing is my opinion, and a lesson for the future. Subject finished now.

alf28

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 45
Flag for a moderator

BLACKMAIL EMAILS forwarding to phishing update (managed at last)

Thunderbird failed to forward properly the emails sent to phishing. So I attempted to forward them via virgin webmail and found that some were blocked due to spam but managed to forward about 6 of the blackmail emails including recent ones (with full headers etc) to- report@phising.gov.uk and abuse@outlook.com.

I used my vpn for privacy so

So this seems a better method as the  html attachment is forwarded as well unlike the thunderbird but it could be down to settings.

The restriction still exists if the email contains spam content it can not be forwarded in virgin "webmail", but the virgin "text only setting-html unticked" works unlike thunderbird and does not bring up images/rendered text etc when forwarding so is a safer option to forward via virgin but with html switched off in settings page to view as text only.

The blackmail emails are on a "massive scale" and criminal activity, but may be based outside of the UK using unregulated servers to send the scams in which case almost impossible to police it, therefore anyone getting such blackmail emails is probably best to ignore them.

I do not normally report phishing due to spam being blocked by virgin but have persevered in this case and managed to report some blackmail emails due to their extreme content. It is usual that the phishing departments may use the data but do not reply or feedback except to acknowledge receipt of scam email.

So at least I have managed at last to report  some including recent ones "Blackmail Emails" but the restriction on forwarding spam email means only emails with no spam content can be forwarded vie the virgin server to "Any company  phishing department" even though it may not be tagged as spam by virgin (unusual) . I also tried to forward a Netflix  scam email  to phishing  (to Netflix) but again blocked due to spam content even though "not tagged as spam" by virgin spam filters in my inbox.

So my advice is not to use Thunderbird now  but to use "Virgin Webmail" more reliable to forward phishing (provided no spam content flagged), if that happens just discard the forward email as it can not be sent (so does  have restrictions)

These are my opinions only, not official  advice.  alf28

Tags (1)
0 Kudos