Menu
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 21 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4 / Gig1 Initial Impressions

Any chance if you could please have a look whether the Hub 4 has byte counters for inbound / outbound traffic either via the web interface, web SNMP proxy or direct SNMP?

On the SH2/SH2ac this was available via the web interface but it was not retrievable in any way from the Hub 3. I find the feature quite useful for monitoring, and would very much like to know if it is available on the Hub 4. It is one of the several reasons why I am still sticking with a SH2ac.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 22 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Why did VM only put a 1Gb network port on the SH4. They should have at least put a 2.5Gb network port on the back.

No one is ever going to get 1Gb connection on there network. Most will max out around 900Mb/s.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 500Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 31
Flag for a moderator

having a 2.5Gbps port on the hub would be pointless unless the client devices also had such ports.
and whilst they are available (mostly as standalone cards/adaptors) they just aren't widely in use enough to warrant the extra cost in adding it to the hub.

most customers will be using WIFI anyway.

in my opinion the gigabit product isn't about supply the full 1Gbps to any one device, it's about having enough bandwidth the supply multiple devices without any device noticing a drop.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 24 of 31
Flag for a moderator

"No one is ever going to get 1Gb connection on there network. Most will max out around 900Mb/s."

not true. That is true for once device but if the connection was 4gbps each port could then get 1gbps

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 25 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Well not quite, 940Mbps from each port.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 26 of 31
Flag for a moderator

It’s all down to cost. Why put a higher speed port on the hub when it would cost more for the chipsets and not even be used by the majority of users. Why an RJ45 port? Should be a fibre one, 10G SPF+ ones, as on my router.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 27 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hello i upgraded to the hub 4 and hoped that it being the super shiny speediest vm do, would cure all my sons gaming issues!

unfortunately it’s worse than the 250 we were on previously!

it randomly disconnects itself, buffers, lags and for my son the most annoying gives him a much higher ping.

ive got an engineer coming tomorrow as had no look explaining over the phone.

They've tested equipment remotely and sent signals to the equipment, I’ve done all I’ve been advised to do but it hasn’t made a difference.

Im now considering leaving vm entirely, as trying to explain an issue over the phone is dreadful with them.

Does anyone have any useful advice?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 28 of 31
Flag for a moderator

higher downloads speeds would not help with gaming issues.
for a gamer virgin is not the ISP to choose, due to the latency in the technology.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 29 of 31
Flag for a moderator

There is nothing cable broadband specific that makes it more prone to latency spikes than any other kind of broadband technology (e.g. ADSL). The problem is the home hub. SuperHub 2 and 2ac were perfectly fine. Hub 3 was a crap piece of hardware that was in every consumer-relevant way a massive downgrade compared to a SH2ac. It remains to be seen whether Hub 4 continues on that path, but both H3 and H4 are, AFAIK, made by Arris, while SH2ac was made by a more competent manufacturer of networking equipment.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 30 of 31
Flag for a moderator

According to Ofcom's surveys latency depends a great deal on how broadband is delivered with the best to worse as follows.

1. FTTP

2. FTTC

3. Cable (VM)

4. ADSL

At peak times (8pm-10pm) even a slow FTTC product such as BT Superfast Fibre had a latency of 13.75ms that comprehensively out-performed VM's VIVID 50 of 20.5ms. However, DOCSIS 3.1 brings lower latency through Active Queue Management (AQM) and now a new specification called Low Latency DOCSIS (LLD) should reduce round-trip latency to about 1ms. It will be interesting to see if VM will introduce LLD.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos