Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 11 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4 / Gig1 Initial Impressions

As requested, attached is a screenshot of the Hub4 in Modem mode accessed via 192.168.0.1 (I could also access via 192.168.100.1).

Strange behaviour.

But my main concern is still the lack of stability. On a daily basis the Hub4 seems to stop all internet connectvitiy, I can't access the settings menu when it does this, but I believe the hub is still responding to external pings (BQM). Restarting the Hub4 resolves the issues, but I don't want to be doing that all the time.

Hub4 Modem Mode.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 12 of 31
Flag for a moderator

in real terms it makes no difference if you can access it on either IP when in modem mode.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 13 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Agreed, (I posted the screenshot because you asked me to). 

My concern is that the Hub4 is exhibiting erratic behaviour - at times all devices connected on the LAN lose internet connectivity, and the only way to resolve is switch it off and switch it on again. (I never experienced this on the Hub3 although there do appear to be some users reporting similar issues on that recently).

I don't know if it's faulty hardware or a bug in the firmware but something isn't right.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 14 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi @MarkPi and @Ag1el1 

I've had a look at both your hubs and don't see any issues to explain the speeds. I've also checked the network segments and there's nothing untoward.

The next step is to understand if the speed is slow to the hub, or the device(s) that you're using. For the purpose of testing, could you pop the hub into router mode please and run a test using samknows.com/realspeed?

If you could post back the results that would be handy, we'll check things with the SamKnows monitoring our end as well to ensure that the speed arriving at your hubs is where it should be.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 15 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Kev_B 

Thanks for the message. 

For me, the speeds seem to have settled down over the last day or so, I'm not unhappy with them (typically showing 650Mbps to 900Mbps, upload 50-60Mbps).

My main concern is that the hub seems to 'hang' once or twice a day, ie all devices on the LAN suddenly cannot get any internet connection. 

Powering the Hub4 down and up fixes it, but that's not going to be practical if it keeps happening.

Let me know if you have any suggestions or need more info.

@Kev_B wrote:

Hi @MarkPi and @Ag1el1 

I've had a look at both your hubs and don't see any issues to explain the speeds. I've also checked the network segments and there's nothing untoward.

The next step is to understand if the speed is slow to the hub, or the device(s) that you're using. For the purpose of testing, could you pop the hub into router mode please and run a test using samknows.com/realspeed?

If you could post back the results that would be handy, we'll check things with the SamKnows monitoring our end as well to ensure that the speed arriving at your hubs is where it should be.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 16 of 31
Flag for a moderator

I have found out the issues and it comes down to not being properly informed By Virgin Media. I run a PC and is hard wired to the HUB through another router. the problem is the Network card in my PC is only a 1Gb card and apparently they cant hit the full  1000Mb speed. ok but then the Hub is still being tested on and been told there is no way the |Hub even in modem mode will be compatible until more tests are carried out. The whole thing is a mess and what the engineer told me was you should have informed me of these issues and also that the HUB is still being tested and will not get the full speed due to this. I feel let down as I really wanted this service but feel like I have been miss informed regarding this service. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 17 of 31
Flag for a moderator

@CarlTSpeak wrote:

Advertised speeds in excess of 1Gbps are delivered to the home. To utilise the full speed capability multiple device connections operating at optimum speed and capacity are required. Device limitations apply. External factors may impact speed.

You might want to keep that on your clipboard. I suspect this is going to come up time and time again...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 18 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Would be interesting to know what the latency looks like. And how does it hold up with large downloads or multiple 4k streams running

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 19 of 31
Flag for a moderator

I've recently signed up for the 1 gig service and i've had a few issues with the Hub 4 myself. Virgin engineers don't know why, but with my hub if there's a network dropout/outage, my hub doesn't auto recover. I have to reset it to get it to work again. And as you never know when a fault is fixed, its hard to know when to reset it as I don't have time to sit there watching it reset every 5 mins trying to get a connection. I wonder if its a firmware issue?? VM have fixed a few cables in our street now and it doesn't drop out as much.

The speeds are good though when it works, I really can't complain about that. I can't get the full speed to my PC as I can only get 940Mbps over the cat6 cable as both ends are only gigabit ports. Supposing VM decide to kick out higher speed broadband in the future,  Would the Hub 4 have to use link aggregation or how would it work getting higher speeds to devices?  I know this is purely hypothetical and I really have no use at the moment for higher than what we get. Kids can game/stream/use their devices and we can use our PC's, TV etc. Everything works (for once lol)  Samknows test reports we're getting 1074MB down and 53MB up

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 20 of 31
Flag for a moderator

LAG, link aggregation, does not give double the speed to an individual device. I’ve not seen any routers with LAG on their WAN port/s.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos