Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hive

Hello,

If I had hair left i would be pulling it out right now!  I have recently (yesterday) installed

a new heating system installed form B.G with the benefit of "Hive"!

Despite the best efforts of the installation engineer and many hours of my time spent on the phone with "Hive" support, it has still not been possible to link the "Hive" receiver to the "Hive" thermostat and therefore the system remains dumb!

The latest "fix" from "Hive" is that their receiver appears to have a conflict with my Super Hub's IP address. Not being very technically minded, I was told (I think) that Virgin needed to change the following IP address to something else (192.168.0.1) so I rang 150 and after what seemed to be an eternity spoke to someone who said he could not amend IP addresses. However, if I wanted additional help I could pay for some kind of premium service which I am not prepared to do as to my mind this is a B.G problem and not mine. However, no doubt for data protection reasons I doubt if both companies will speak to each other to sort this mess out.

In addition, when the "Hive" receiver is connected to the internet my mobile phone cannot access the web as it seems to keep hunting for an IP address it can't find and simply hangs there.As soon as the receiver is unplugged from the Super Hub access to the internet is restored immediately.

Can anyone out these please help me resolve this issue as I seem to be going round in circles?

Thanks in advance

Brian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hive

I would suspect that the Hive ‘hub’ is faulty. It looks as if it’s flooding the network with bad data and that is locking out your mobiles connection. There must be other Hive user on VM and I have seen no reports of this type of problem.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello and thanks for your reply. B.G seem reluctant to send a new box out to me for some reason but I will keep plugging away at them>
Regards
Brian
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As a test, setup a phone as a wifi hotspot, and see if the Hive can connect to that. If it can (and so can a further test device) then it would seem that there's a compatibility issue between the Hive and the Hub 3.  If the Hive connects OK in this test, then looking over previous queries in this forum (as I'm sure you have) it would seem that the best option may be to buy a router of your own, and bypass the Hub 3.  

I can't offer any recommendations based on personal experience here, but you may want to consider your range of options from a mid-cost router, a premium router, or a mesh system that will give better coverage throughout the house.  Given the (possible) compatibility issues, make sure you buy a solution that has DHCP routing capability, not an access point device, as access points (eg BT Whole Home disks) still rely on the Hub 3's DHCP capabilities.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have a Hive Hub and Thermostat and all I had to do was connect the Hub by network cable to my network it then got an IP address via DHCP from albeit my non VM router.  It was then successfully registered on the Hive website and all worked.  I would agree that if when the Hive Hub is powered on and connected to your network it causes other devices to stop working then it is surely faulty and you should get British Gas to replace it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have VM Broadband and Hive with no problem. This is my understanding of how it all works. As others have explained, the Hive Hub should get its IP address from your router, whether it be your own (with the VM Router in modem mode) or directly from the VM Router (not in modem mode) using DHCP. I was a Hive early adopter and had historical Hive issues, but the Hive Hub always connected OK to my Router with no problems. Unless you have the new Hive Hub 360 then this has to be via an ethernet cable, and not via WiFi. The Hive Hub 360 has a WiFi option as well. When you access the Hive Hub with your mobile phone (with the Hive App (iOS or Android) installed) then the connection is via the BG servers, irrespective of whether the connection on your mobile is via 4G or WiFi. Also remember that the Hive Hub does not use WiFi. It uses a similar, but different, wireless technology called Zigbee. One of the differences between WiFi and Zigbee is that each Hive device can act as a repeater. So if, for example, you have a Hive lightbulb between the Hive Hub and the thermostat the lightbulb could act as a Zigbee repeater. So my best guess is, like others have said, your Hive Hub is faulty. I have normally found the BG Hive support quite good and they should be able to access your Hive Hub from their offices. On a few occasions I have insisted on being transferred to second line support, if first line support couldn't help. But if your Hive Hub is a long way from your Thermostat then you may need a repeater. This would normally be another Hive device, but BG also sell a mains plug that does nothing more than act as a Zigbee repeater and should be placed between your Hive Hub and the thermostat. It's called a Hive Signal Booster and is on the Hive Web site at £29. I think I recall that historically if it was a new installation and you needed one they did send it out free-of-charge. Not sure if this is still the case though.
Also the Hive support team should be able to remotely push out a firmware update to your Hive Hub and/or Thermostat if they are not up-to-date.
If you had BG installing your new Gas CH then remember the fitters are really Gas Safe Registered plumbers and are not normally IT experts. If the fitter couldn't get it going then you really need to phone Hive Support.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for all the helpful advice I have been given regarding this matter. I have spent many happy hours chatting away to both first and second tier Hive support staff but still without any success. However, at long last Hive have agreed to send an engineer out this afternoon so some positive news at last. I do hope it is someone with some IT knowledge rather than an ordinary engineer(who with all due respect to them are not experts in the IT field) so I await with fingers crossed. I will keep you up to date later on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mrwonderful,

Thank you for getting back to us with an update, glad to hear a technician from Hive is coming to have a look and hopefully get this resolved for you, please keep us informed.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Dear Everyone,

Just a quick thank you to all of you who tried to assist me in dealing with my "Hive" issue.

The engineer has just left after replacing the "Hive" hub and receiver and now everything is working as it should 🙂

Best wishes

Brian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's great that your issue appears to have been resolved Mrwonderful.

If you do need us in the future, please do not hesitate in reaching out.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos