Flag for a moderator

Corrupt apps on Tellytablet after factory reset

Hi

The following apps keep installing themselves on my Virgin Telly Tablet:

• Xiaoan
  • Tayase
  • Smart
  • Gem

I only use the tablet to watch TV, use Zoom, and YouTube. 

These apps keep interrupting what I am doing by: 

• Telling me they have stopped working, so I have to keep closing them down
  • They open new tabs with gambling sites, tarot card readings, etc, while I'm in the middle of a Zoom meeting or watching TV
  • They keep asking to gain access to my files

Unlike the other apps which show "installed from Google play store", these apps show "app installed from settings". When I uninstall them, they return. 

• I have now performed a full factory reset 3 times, both from the Settings screen and using the up volume and power on buttons. Unfortunately these apps keep re-installing themselves. 
  • I bought the tablet direct from Virgin, and no-one else has access to it..

I would be really grateful if anyone can help with this as it is making it almost impossible to use the tablet. 

With thanks and kind regards

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Corrupt apps on Tellytablet after factory reset

Check out this thread:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/VirginMedia-distributing-viruses/td-p/4681302/...

You will find the contact details for Telly tablet support within that thread.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Josie62
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou Graham. 

It is helpful to know that other Tellytablet users have also reported this problem.

Unfortunately I have seen no acknowledgement from Virgin, or any indication they are going to help resolve this issue. 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Even though the tablet is branded Virginmedia the people you need to contact  for support is another company.

The virginmedia support pages are at https://devicesupport.virginmedia.com/customer/device/Virgin/TellyTablet/#l=vmcust&lHsim=vmcust&d=Vi...

If you can't find what you're looking for via the help page, you can call Exertis who deal with our Telly Tab faults. 

Their contact number is 01282 858460 or you can send over an email to virginsupport@exertis.co.uk

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Josie62 wrote:

Thankyou Graham. 

It is helpful to know that other Tellytablet users have also reported this problem.

Unfortunately I have seen no acknowledgement from Virgin, or any indication they are going to help resolve this issue. 

VM are aware of the issue and looking into it. You've probably missed this due to the number of separate threads about this, most of which have been consolidated into one thread, of which the following is taken from page 9. VirginMedia-distributing-viruses 

Hi,

I'm really sorry that we don't have any further updates on this yet. Please be assured we're working to get to the bottom of the issue and we'll provide a further update once we have information to share.

Kev

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Josie62
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Why have you removed half of the message I sent this morning? The one in which I outlined that Virgin sells the tablets, Virgin name us on the tablet  Vurgin logo comes up every time it us switched on, Virgin sends out corrupt viruses. The only time you don't see Virgin is when it comes to helping customers.

And don't keep palming us off with the cut and paste msg about Virgin looking into this and "further updates" - I've seen the other threads and as another customer has just pointed out there are no updates, nothing to indicate any action from Virgin to help with this. 

Please do not remove my messages. 

0 Kudos