Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Best all around performance router, wireless ?

Hey guys. I have an old nighthawk router that can’t really keep up with the IOT that is now my house. It’s treated me well but it’s starting to choke and slow down, ultimately needed hard-reboots to resolve issues. I am looking for some high-performance recommendations that can take over. I am trying to stay at or under around $250 if possible. I am still interested if there are higher model nighthawks worth checking out. Thanks ....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Best all around performance router, wireless ?

Depending on how well the Nighthawk worked for the most remote points of your property, you might want ton consider an option I looked at, but ruled out for myself (on cost grounds) which was buying a couple of Asus RT-AC68U and configuring them for Asus AiMesh wireless.  Whilst that's going to be towards the top end of your budget, it gets you a premium router (could even push the boat out and have an RT-86U for the primary router) and the benefits of a mesh wifi setup?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Mesh!

Firstly consider why you have blackspots, Solid brick/stone walls, concrete floors, distance, etc. In which case you are still trying to use poor WiFi technogies to branch these obstacles.

My prefered is distributed access points connected by decent spec cable to a central switch. Of course you have to have the routes in the first place. But generally connect and forget and a damn sight faster with the option of hard wiring devices.

Highlighted
Rising star
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If the Netgear was covering the whole house then a better router at about £150 would be asus ac86u. The smallnetbuilder website has some very detailed reviews of latest routers if you prefer netgear, or want to pay more for latest wifi ax future proofed router

0 Kudos