cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPad recording playback

noisyjack
Tuning in

Hi all,

I have a marginally complicated network at home. My iPad is on a different subnet to my VM box, but there is a gateway providing a route between them. I can ping the 360 box from my iPad.

When trying to watch back recordings I get a message saying I'm outside of the home.

Does anyone know the method used to determine whether the iPad is in or out of the home? I want to ensure whatever discovery / messages using are passing over the gateway. 

11 REPLIES 11

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @noisyjack and a very warm welcome to you!

Can you please advise me if you're using the TV Go or TV Remote Control App on the iPad?

Are you able to connect the iPad to our router, via Wi-Fi, to see if you can stream the recorded content?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi David,

I’m currently using the superhub in modem mode, i’d rather not reconfigure it just at the moment.

if I put my Wi-Fi access points on the same subnet as the VM box it will work, but I’m looking to separate my VM box from the rest of my network (I have to run a lot of insecure devices for work so I try and separate everything out).

i’m 100% sure that if I was running a flat network with the superhub, that it would work. I’m just trying to get some technical information, on how the 360 box and IPad authenticate each other as being on the same network so I can ensure those messages are passed through correctly?

Do they absolutely need to be on the same subnet? Is it that basic or is it just a case of making sure the SSDP messages are passed?

I’m a touch confused as the app diagnostics mention MQTT but I can’t figure out what you’d be using MQTT for? Or what is acting as the broker? Is that running locally on iOS?

I’m using the TV app on iOS (same behaviour on iPhone and iPad)

Hi noisyjack, thanks for the message. Would you be able to take this out of Modem mode and put it in router mode to see if the same issue is occurring. If it doesn't present an issue in router mode then the issue would lie with the 3rd party router. Chris

noisyjack
Tuning in

Hi Chris,

I'm asking for information on how the iPad app and VM box communicate and decide that they're on the same network, so I can properly configure the third-party router...

Whether it works on the SuperHub is irrelevant. 

Hi @noisyjack

Thanks for the reply

Unfortunately we can only provide the technical knowledge around our Virgin services connecting directly to the hub rather than in modem mode using alternate equipment.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Why?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @noisyjack 

You can choose to use any third party router with VM's broadband service. However, the VM tech teams are specifically trained on the operation of VM's routers which are supplied as part of the service.

They  may only be able to offer limited support on third party routers because there are so many, all with different configurations  It's the same with all ISP's.

The ipad needs to be on the same subnet as the VM set top box, ie 192.168.0.x

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thank you!

My frustration is that I don't really feel like I'm asking for support on my third party router, I'm asking for support on how their app talks to their media device.

I'm not asking them to set up my third party anything, just give me the tools to do it myself.

Appreciate your response.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @noisyjack,

Thanks for coming back to us and thank you for @newapollo for providing you with some information about how we operate and assist in regards to technical issues. I am sorry that we're unable to assist with your third party router. We do understand that you're asking for help in regards to how our App communicates with our TV box.

However, we would need to check if this is communication issue is caused by the WiFi connection between the iPod and the TV box, therefore we would need to ask you to try this out when connected to your Virgin Media Hub on router mode. If this issue is resolved by switching back to router mode on the Virgin Media Hub, then it would be an issue with your third party router.

Are you having this issue on any other device? Please let us know. 

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs