Menu
Joining in
Message 11 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin TV Go

Just ran another speed test. This was sold as "up to 500mbs"!!!!

1E1B302E-6819-408F-90E5-D56D54ECADA8.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 12 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Just ran another speed test. This was sold as "up to 500mbs"!!!!

what do you pay for? I get the following but I only pay for 100 mbps

44.3 Mbps download

8.08 Mbps upload

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 13 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I don’t appear to be at Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed...

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds

Our estimated broadband speeds

To make our broadband speeds crystal clear, we’ve set them out in a handy table. These estimated speeds apply to all new customers who buy our broadband services, and to existing customers who change their broadband services, on or after February 28th 2019.

Download Speeds Upload Speeds
ProductAdvertised Speed*Expected Speed Range**Advertised Speed*Expected Speed Range**
M5054 Mbps53 - 55 Mbps5 Mbps5 Mbps
M100108 Mbps108 - 111 Mbps10 Mbps10 Mbps
M200213 Mbps209 - 219 Mbps20 Mbps20 - 21 Mbps
M350362 Mbps346 - 379 Mbps36 Mbps35 - 37 Mbps
M500516 Mbps452 - 532 Mbps36 Mbps35 - 37 Mbps
Gig1 Fibre Broadband1104 Mbps1083 - 1150 Mbps52 Mbps46 - 52 Mbps

* The advertised download and upload speeds for our Virgin Fibre packages are calculated by taking the median average, or the mid-point between the fastest and slowest speeds for each package at peak times (8-10pm), each month. This is in line with the Advertising Standards Authority’s (ASA) guidance.

** The expected speed range is the normal download and upload speed that you could expect at peak times (8-10pm, Monday-Sunday). This is in line with Ofcom’s guidance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 14 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi arrgee1991

I pay for the M500 package, advertised as - 

• Our fastest fibre, exclusive to the Ultimate Oomph bundle
  • New top average download speeds of 516Mbps
  • 7x faster than BT and Sky’s fastest widely available speeds

regards

Mick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 15 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mick_E,

Thanks for posting and apologies for the lower than expected speeds. I've ran a background check and no issues are showing. How are you testing the speed please, wired/wireless?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 16 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

I am using speedtest.net which is a direct link from the Virgin Media page. It is a wireless test as I only have a MacBook and iPad which do not have ethernet ports. I have found that the range on the 5 ghz stream is poor and the strength on the 2.4ghz stream is extremely slow. Webpages take much longer to open and refresh than they used to do on BT. Also - when I am searching for a wireless network in other rooms in the house I can pick up various SKY, BT and TalkTalk networks from the neighbours with greater signal strength than my own Virgin network. My next-door neighbour has also switched to Virgin and he has the same issues as me, he is also regretting the switch. On a plus side I have done speed tests close to the router on the 5ghz stream and the speeds (off peak can approach 300mbps.

regards

Mick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 17 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for popping back Mike, 

I have located your account and have been doing a few checks for you. It's been just over 7 days since you rebooted the hub so if you could do a cheeky reboot when you can that would be great. 

All signal levels are within the parameters that we would expect and there are no errors showing so that's a good start. 

However, we can see that you have a lot of devices connected to the Hub - both via WiFi and Wired. We can see that a few of the WiFi devices are a bit too far away from the Hub and as such are straining your connection which maybe contributing to the coverage issue.

Have you downloaded our free Connect App at all? This will enable you to scan your home and devices; the app will then let you know where and if you have any issues and help you go through checks to assist with the issues. 

May we ask where your Hub is located? Is it quite central? 

When you do manage to do a wired speed test; please can you do one without anything else connected as this will give us a more accurate representation of the speeds. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 18 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi. I think it is the MacBook Pro that causes the problem, not Safari. The tv go app works fine on my iPad Air but not on the MacBook.

0 Kudos