cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Sports Desktop Player for PC not Loading

Harveypotter
On our wavelength

Hi, to watch Sky Sports on my laptop nowadays Sky make you download and install a Desktop Player onto your PC. 

After downloading and installing, I can’t get the software to load up. After installing the cursor spins for a few seconds and then just goes dead.

Have tried all sorts: downloading from all the different browsers, re-installing, turning virus software (Windows Defender) off, turning firewalls off. It just won’t load up.

Anyone had any similar problems and got a fix? I need to watch sky sports on my laptop through my account with Virgin.

Running Windows 10 Home.

thanks , HP

47 REPLIES 47

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Harveypotter,

Thank you for coming back to me about this and providing further information.

Can you tell me if you have another PC or laptop that your can check this on at all?

Please let me know,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello just to say after months I finally got the desktop player working.

As mentioned the first thing I did was uninstall the application. I even went into my downloads folder and deleted all the folders that has "sky" in the description.

However this is the easy bit and from reading lots of forums, the step everyone is able to do. The issue was that I could never locate a folder called Cisco or Video Guard. After searching every option I clicked onto my c drive, and typed 'SKY_GB-SKY_SKYSPORTS' in the search bar. Suddenly I saw the folder everyone was talking about! I deleted it, restarted my PC, re-installed the sky sports desktop player and it worked!

I'm not technologically advanced, so hopefully typing it into your c drive and deleting as I did is enough to get it working for you!!

Sky really need to address this issue, ensuring that when you delete the desktop player it also deletes this folder so save everyone the agg!

I really hope this works for everyone else who was seeing the same issue as me (especially if they

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

That's great to see/hear - thank you also for taking your time out to post this as it's a really helpful explanation for anyone that needs it. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Haha Will Patrick I thought you’d cracked it……there’s me eagerly searching for that folder on c drive…….nothing; not a sausage! Nothing appears in a search for Sky, Cisco or Videoguard in any of my drive folders. No further than I was two years ago! Enjoy watching sky sports on your laptop though!

Hi @Harveypotter

Thanks for the reply!

Have you been able to try the player on an alternative laptop / device?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

This worked for me. The full list of actions - some of which may be unnecessary - was:

Uninstall Sky Sports

Uninstall Cisco Videoguard

Delete every entry from C:\Users\<myname>\AppData that related to either 'Sky' or 'Cisco'. AppData is a hidden folder - you need to make it visible (View hidden files and folders in Windows (microsoft.com).

The 'Cisco' folder in  C:\Users\<myname>\AppData\LocalLow was the one that had eluded me for over a year.

Reboot

Install the Sky Sports Desktop app.

this worked for me 

i think the main issue is the cisco folder 

id already tried uninstalling and deleting the sky folders this didn't work 

but after deleting the cisco folder it worked 1st time

Hi endisforever,

Thank you for reaching back out to us and for the update, we really appreciate you sharing this information which will enable others to fix the issue themselves, if you do need any further help/ support, do not hesitate to reach back out. 

Regards

Paul.