cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Websafe not blocking apps on iPhone and iPad eg Instagram

Unicornlala
On our wavelength

I have lots of sites blocked through websafe and this works if searching for that site through a browser but it no longer blocks sites if they are accessed via an app.

example Instagram, I cant access it though a browser search so that part is working but I can access it through the app.

this has just started happening and I don’t know why, the apps used to be blocked but now it doesn’t work. I think it’s since an Apple update but I’m not sure, my iPad and iPhone isn’t using a vpn.

Please help thanks.

91 REPLIES 91

Yes I am still having problems. When I click onto the Websafe page after I have logged in it says 

We're doing some work on our site

We'll be back soon

We're experiencing some problems right now. Please give us a call on…….

so I can’t test whether Websafe is working now. In the meantime because I can’t add and remove sites from the list like I normally would it’s costing a fortune in data to look at Instagram because it’s currently blocked on the WiFi and I can’t unblock it.

I just don’t understand why no one is fixing this and why it was properly tested before it was rolled out

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does the issue still occur when using your browser's Incognito / Private mode? if not then clearing the browser's data cache should resolve the issue however be aware that doing so may mean:

• you have to re-sign into services that were active / in use
  • initial loading of some sites maybe noticeably longer
  • site specific customisation may need to be reapplied

Should further help be needed with clearing the data cache then post back here with detail of browser name and device it is running on.

BTW: for me initial access to Web Safe page hangs but refresh of page or going to https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/onlinesecurity/websafe/settings resolve the issue.

Using private browsing meant I could get to the Websafe page so thanks for that. 
BUT the original problem is still there. The list of blocked pages were all there, I then went onto the categories and selected the ones I wanted, saved it, went back to the list of websites and they have all disappeared again

I now have to deselect all of the categories and re add all of the websites which takes ages

PLEASE FIX THIS

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you seeing the old UI
2020-10-15.jpeg
or new UI:
2022-03-22_a.jpeg

homenet123
Tuning in

The system here now seem to have gone to the old interface where "switches" seem to work BUT attempt to block things as simple as YT give, repeatedly, after long-ish wait,  "Sorry We can't update your Web Safe settings at the moment. Please try again later. Your previous Web Safe settings will remain active."

Still does not appear to work!

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Issue has been flagged to forum team; be aware it can take them a few hour / minutes to respond. 

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for letting us know! 

Is it possible I can ask if you could try and go through this link and let me know if it makes any difference: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/account-settings/security. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

I am using the new UI there was no problem with the old one it worked fine

No, that says “oops 404 page not found

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Typo in URL, remove ending period, but instead try the following https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/onlinesecurity/websafe/settings